Ebay seller and paypal refund

Dotty50
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3739 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently made a purchase off ebay, as a winning bidder and made an immediate payment via paypal, which was the payment option in the listing.

I very quickly received a message from the seller saying that they didn't want paypal used and it was only cash on collection.

I called the seller and they were adamant that the listing was cash on collection. Having re-checked the listing, in the sellers instructions it just gives a phone number to contact them it doesn't state NOT to use paypal.

The goods had to be transported by courier, so I contacted them and they agreed to pay cash on my behalf when they collected the items for me and I have taken delivery.

When does theseller know that funds are cleared in their paypal account and can safely issue the refund?

They have said they will send it but it's not yet been done and it's now four days since the collection was done and cash paid.

Am I being too impatient? They keep pushing for feedback to be given and I obviously don't want to do this until I've had my money back.

eBay and PayPal moe have typical new polices where if you a new seller or the DSR fall below a certain score paypla hold the sellers funds. For up to 21 days.

They can be released sooner is the buyer leaves postive feedback or item has been confirmed delivered for 72 hours (3 days)

I had to argue my case the other day because there policy says positive feedback but they claim that no longer applies as their policy has 'changed'

But they haven't updated it yet

Have u paid him twice, paypal and cash?

The cash on collection is to avoid pay pals fees if its an expensive item as they typically take 3% for receiving money.

Its really down to them letting you know but with their nee polices ebay makes it hard for sellers to get there money, theve held onto mine for over a week even tho its delivered.

Keep in contact with the seller but be careful.

Paypal is getting to risky to use. They hold onto peoples money for as long as they like and they get away with it because they are not governed by anyone.

Could be as long as 21 days or longer its really up to Paypal,

Hes pushing for feedback because Paypal are probably holding his money back from him. If possible; Make it clear u want your money refunded before any feedback is left if not force his hand and file a paypal dispute and hel have to refund you because paypal will do it for him.

Hope that helps

I believe you HAVE to offer Paypal as an option on Ebay.

I think even if the money is in the 21 day hold period the seller can still do a refund through Paypal.

Personally Id give this seller a wide berth and avoid him in the future for messing you about.

Yes eBay insists on PayPal as a payment method. In my opinion so they can double dip in fees.

Yes the seller should still be able to issue a refund. If he refuses go through PayPal and they will do it for you and the seller will be black marked.

I wouldn’t be too hard on the seller in this case, reading the first post it seems they bid on a collection only item and they live nowhere near the seller.

I’ve had this happen to me numerous times, people saying they didn’t realise etc and they will send their own courier and it can be a right pain when they expect you to wait in for a whole day for their courier to collect and pack it for free. It’s an even bigger pain when they take the huff when you quite rightly say no and leave you negative feedback.

PayPal on collection only items is a big no-no for sellers as they can’t provide proof of delivery in the event of an item not received case leaving themselves wide open to all sorts of fraud. As stated above sellers have to offer PayPal on all listings but ebay also advise against accepting PayPal payments on vehicle sales and collection only listings. Also if the seller was to state “PayPal not accepted” on their listing ebay would remove it.

Worst case scenario, if the seller doesn’t refund your PayPal payment you open an item not received case and ebay will refund you, simples.

Have u paid him twice, paypal and cash?

Yes I used paypal at the end of the auction and also cash on collection

The cash on collection is to avoid pay pals fees if its an expensive item as they typically take 3% for receiving money.

Its really down to them letting you know but with their nee polices ebay makes it hard for sellers to get there money, theve held onto mine for over a week even tho its delivered.

It's annoying that they hold on to peoples money, but I guess that's our choice when using paypal

Yes eBay insists on PayPal as a payment method. In my opinion so they can double dip in fees.

Yes it seems that this is the case now but you can still put cash on collection ONLY which the seller didn't do

I wouldn’t be too hard on the seller in this case, reading the first post it seems they bid on a collection only item and they live nowhere near the seller.

That is correct but I contacted the seller before making a bid to ensure they were ok with me using a courier!

I’ve had this happen to me numerous times, people saying they didn’t realise etc and they will send their own courier and it can be a right pain when they expect you to wait in for a whole day for their courier to collect and pack it for free. It’s an even bigger pain when they take the huff when you quite rightly say no and leave you negative feedback.

I made prior arrangements with the courier and the items were collected within a couple of hours of the auction ending! If you have had problems of this kind, I guess you have not highlighted it well enough in your listings! I have sold a few items and if there were any conditions to the sale I would make sure it was clear in the listing. Many people put capitals and in red so that any potential bidder is fully aware of the terms of the sale

PayPal on collection only items is a big no-no for sellers as they can’t provide proof of delivery in the event of an item not received case leaving themselves wide open to all sorts of fraud. As stated above sellers have to offer PayPal on all listings but ebay also advise against accepting PayPal payments on vehicle sales and collection only listings. Also if the seller was to state “PayPal not accepted” on their listing ebay would remove it.

I wasn't aware that Ebay remove the comment regarding paypal not accepted, it's been a while since I sold anything, but I exchanged several emails with the seller prior to bidding and they never said that it was cash on collection. It was only after the auction ended

Worst case scenario, if the seller doesn’t refund your PayPal payment you open an item not received case and ebay will refund you, simples.

Any way, having emailed the seller again asking why they have delayed refunding my paypal payment, I have received it back this morning with an apology! :-)

I have bought a lot of items via ebay, using couriers to collect but ALWAYS liaise with them before to ensure they are happy with it. The couriers have packed or protected the items and I've never had a problem.

Hi ashmk

When you get quotes, it usually states that the courier is insured, you can also view their feedback (like Ebay) and see what sort of items they have moved before.

I've used a couple of sites which are well known, I'm pretty sure one of the companies advertise their facilities on ebay where large items are involved.

Ah well your one of the few asking before bidding, it’s usually the other way round. So there is no excuse for the seller messing you about regarding your refund.

On my listings which are always created from the same template I state:

Top of item description: “Collection only item”

After description: “Payment on collection only, this item is for collection in person from *my postcode* No Courier collections”

All in large font red letters you couldn’t miss. But still people bid and want it posted or want a courier to collect, only asking after they’ve won. It’s very annoying and I gave up listing collection only items on ebay and moved to Gumtree. Ebay indeed pull listings if the seller includes terms such as “No PayPal” etc and sometimes they even pull listings that ask for cash on collection, sellers have to word it very carefully.

Ah well your one of the few asking before bidding, it’s usually the other way round. So there is no excuse for the seller messing you about regarding your refund.

On my listings which are always created from the same template I state:

Top of item description: “Collection only item”

After description: “Payment on collection only, this item is for collection in person from *my postcode* No Courier collections”

All in large font red letters you couldn’t miss. But still people bid and want it posted or want a courier to collect, only asking after they’ve won. It’s very annoying and I gave up listing collection only items on ebay and moved to Gumtree. Ebay indeed pull listings if the seller includes terms such as “No PayPal” etc and sometimes they even pull listings that ask for cash on collection, sellers have to word it very carefully.

Exactually so their dirty hands can raid the cookie jar cant have them missing out on their extortionate fees now can we

I used to make a killing on ebay and I enjoyed it. I had no real issues until 2008/9 when I closed my ebay shop after a number of nasty customers, PayPal chargeback’s and false INR’s.

I do sell privately now and again but I can’t remember the last time I sold something. I agree, given how much they now charge in fees it’s not worth selling anything anymore. Then you have the hassle of dealing with awkward buyers trying for a partial refund, threatening you with low DSR’s, nitpicking, messing you around etc plus the ever increasing risk of fraud.

Good article in the guardian today about ebay fraud.

Sorry johnym I didn't mean to criticise you and your listings, I just try and treat people the way I would expect to be treated if I was selling.

Having only sold a few things, I've never had any problems but from what you've said, maybe I'll think twice before using ebay to sell in the future.

Paypal finally released my money today so I'm sorted now. :-)

Everyone I know who has used Ebay/Paypal for a reasonable period of time has run into problems both as sellers and buyers, it is almost inevitable that you will run into problems at some stage and things are often made worse by Ebay/Paypal when they fail to investigate issues properally and refund/withold money willy nilly, as johnym pointed out, the article in the Guardian is the latest in a long line of many > http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/feb/17/ebay-goes-wrong-debt-collectors

I wouldn’t want to put anyone off selling on ebay, including you Dotty but as a private seller you have to be really careful what you list and how you list it. Selling on ebay is like walking a tightrope these days and it doesn’t take much for you to find yourself ripped off or banned for life from selling (thanks to DSR’s) because a couple of buyers didn’t like the fact you charged for postage.