Young man losing his eyesight

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3753 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A young chap , 25, has lost almost all the sight in one eye. He can still drive, for now, and he works for a large betting company. He went to one hospital and they delayed treatment and told him that if he was 16 he'd be a more urgent case. This was 2 years ago. He's been referred to another and told that they have to go through the whole evaluation again as they can't use what the other hospital has sent them and that will take 2 years and he will be completely blind by then as he needs cornea transplants amongst others.

If he were a private patient he could have it done for £5000 within 2 weeks to save one of his eyes. The mods. may wish to put this on another forum.

I'm thinking that he works for a large company and they would have to make provisions for his sight and can't just sack him so why not ask them to fund the operation rather than spending the money on aids for him to work there and he is a valued member of staff? He's not in their healthcare system and can't join now as it's pre-existing but he has been employed by the company before he was diagnosed. I need to check if he's in a union but asfaik he's not got anything insurance wise that he could fall back on.

If anyone can think of anything and a way forward for this lad then do chip in and say.

Legally I don't think the employer is obliged to do anything. If he ends up blind they may be requierd to make reasonasble adjustments but if he ends up being unable to do his job they could sack him. He can always ask for the treatment to be paid out of goodwill.

This sounds like a shocking case. I think the better route is to push things forward with the NHS. If it is taking too long make an official complaint to the Chief Exec of the hospital. I would also make an appointment with the local MP immediately and get his team involved.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS