Maplin online order - wrong product shown on website.

junebug
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3782 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think this is in the right place...!

Last night I was shopping online for a SAD lamp,

imagine my joy when I found one on the Maplin website for £9.99!

'Too good to be true!' thought I,

but I checked, double checked, and triple checked the item picture and description,

and sure enough, it is described and photographed as a SAD light.

Now I have a funny feeling that what awaits me in store is actually a bulb for the £44.99 SAD light.

I have paid for what is described on the website, in order to pick it up today.

So where do I stand when I say 'this isn't what I've paid for'?

Just looked. Nothing advertised for £9.99 now.

Maplin won't have to honour a mistake. I don't think there is any law requiring them to do so and there will be some wording on their site, which covers any errors.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

The only way to find out is to go and attempt to pick it up. It may turn out that they refuse to givie to you and give you a refund.

The contract is not complete until you have the goods. At any time before that, they are allowed to cancel the transaction

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

And I'll bet that'll take 5 days to go back to my account which means I'll have to wait to get my lamp. Bloody bloody! :rolleyes:

Edited by junebug
Rogue apostrophe was bothering me.

And I'll bet that'll take 5 days to go back to my account which means I'll have to wait to get my lamp. Bloody bloody! :rolleyes:

That is for a tube to fit inside the light box. It is not for a whole light box.

If you want a SAD light box, there are 2 advertised. 1 for £34.99 and other £44.99. The cheaper one is only a mini portable box. The other at £44.99 is the proper size one and you can get the same in Tesco.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

My point being - the wrong product is displayed and described. As I pointed out in my original post, I double, tripled checked the image and description of this one - which is for a light box and NOT a bulb.

The headline product description does indeed state "tube", yet it goes on to describe the whole lamp fitting as "Complete with foldable tripod and wall mounting device• Lightbox ideal for use in the home or office"

Suggest printing off a screenshot and berating the store manager if it is indeed just the tube - If you're lucky, he may let you have the correct product for the same price as a gesture of goodwill. I have had similar experiences elsewhere, but only when discussing it with a manager (floor staff do not have the authority).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

The contract is not complete until you have the goods. At any time before that, they are allowed to cancel the transaction

This is not strictly true. The contract may not be completed until all parties have fulfilled their contractual obligations but the contract is formed and legally binding when the promises to supply and to pay are exchanged. If the seller confirms his offer to sell at given price (rather than simply sends an automatic confimation of the order being sumbitted) then the seller's subsequent retraction will almost certainly amount to a breach.

The ability to cancel by distance selling after the contract is formed (without being in breach) is a gift given only to the consumer and not to a business seller.

Has your money actually been taken?.

What do the T's & C's of the website say?.

The issue at law is when there was more than an enquiry, or an "invitation to treat", as opposed to an offer and an unqualified acceptance of the offer.

It is hard for them to say there hasn't been an offer and an unqualified acceptance of the offer if they have actually taken your money already. If they haven't then you may struggle to show its was offer/acceptance rather than the "offer" being your offering of the money which they haven't yet accepted, especially if their T's & C's make that point .....

My point being - the wrong product is displayed and described. As I pointed out in my original post, I double, tripled checked the image and description of this one - which is for a light box and NOT a bulb.

It is pretty obvious that it is for the bulb and not the light box. The mistake Maplins have made is too have the same information on the pages for the bulb and the lightbox.

I would suggest that you contact Maplins head office to make a complaint about the information on their website being misleading to you. Perhaps they may offer you something.

It is pretty obvious that it is for the bulb and not the light box. The mistake Maplins have made is too have the same information on the pages for the bulb and the lightbox.

I would suggest that you contact Maplins head office to make a complaint about the information on their website being misleading to you. Perhaps they may offer you something.

How is it clear with a picture of a lightbox and a description of a lightbox? I'm not stupid, I read and re-read and have read a few times more, and the item They are advertising is a lightbox. I paid for the item advertised.

This is a tube -http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FQGRYZW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1390402093&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX110_SY165 - slightly different to what is being described in their site, no?

The Amazon add is for a different type of tube, presumably for an older light box.

I think from your first post, that you realised Maplin would not be selling a full size light box for £9.99, when elsewhere on their site it costs £44.99.

It is very unlikely a manager from a Maplin store will let you have the light box for £9.99, but they may give you a discount off the £44.99. If you are not happy with that then you would have to take it up with Maplin head office.

I realised maybe it was wrong after paying for it but until then, no, I assumed I would be getting what I was looking at and seeing described.

Perhaps if you contact Maplins, you should not state what you said in your first post.

"Now I have a funny feeling that what awaits me in store is actually a bulb for the £44.99 SAD light."

*after* paying for what I thought was a lightbox.

And you're making out in the stupid one here.

You did ask for an opinion by posting here. I gave my opinion, which you disagree with.

I have never stated that you were stupid, just that the Maplin website information maybe misunderstood by some people who visit their site. Your first post clearly states that the Maplin information may lead to confusion.

The Maplin website information needs to be updated, so everyone who visits their site realises it is for the light tube and not to have the information which relates to the lightbox.

Complain to Maplin, as that is the only way forward here.