Barclaycard not closing account - gambling problem

gersnet
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3791 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a compulsive gambling problem. I took out a 8k loan in Sept to pay off two credit cards MBNA and Barclaycard.

After I cleared these two cards off, I took what I felt was responsible actions to close both of these credit lines and to remove temptation.

I contacted both MBNA and Barclaycard through their online messaging consoles.

MBNA cancelled and closed my account within 24 hours of contact.

Thank you for your message Mr. ******. I have closed your account today. Please destroy your credit card and PIN. If you've given your card details under this account (ending 8115) to any organization to make regular payments to them, such as annual or monthly subscriptions for magazines, Satellite TV or Insurances, please note that these may not be paid once your account is closed. We would suggest that you contact those organizations direct to confirm cancellation of these payment authorities and arrange to pay them another way. You may receive promotional material until 30 December 2013 as this is already prepared, please destroy any such mail. Your account may take up to a month to register with credit reference agencies as closed. I can assure you your account is now closed. You will see interest on your statements until the month after you make your first full balance payment, as interest is charged one month in arrears. I can assure you your account is now closed and cannot be re-opened. You will receive confirmation of this by letter to ******* Many thanks.
Barlcaycard

Fromhead.gif You

Hi there

Can you please cancel and close my Barclaycard account.

On receipt of e-mail confirmation of account closure I will destroy and discard of credit card.

Many thanks

I received this response about 30 mins later

Dear Mr *******

Thanks for your message regarding the closure of your account.

Your request has been forwarded on to the relevant department who will contact you shortly.

Should you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

gaurav.paul

Customer Service Advisor

Barclaycard Customer Services

However I never heard from Barclaycard as per my simple request to close down the account ASAP.

The account remained opened and about 12 days later I started to gamble using a card I had requested in writing to close.

I gambled about 4.6k on this card.

I take full responsablity for my compulsive problems/illness, however I feel that Barclaycard should have took action when I contacted them (like MBNA did), they were quick enough to respond, so why didn't they just close down the account? The balance was 0 is was an easy action surely.

If they looked at my previous statements they would see the problems I have.

I think I took reasonable steps to close the account, and would like an explanation as to why it was left open despite my request.

I have now lodged a complaint with them, because despite my admission to gambling problems, if the account had been closed on my instruction I would not have been in a position to **** away more funds.

Edited by gersnet

These are/were continuous payment authorities on debit/credit cards to the gambling sites?

Did you inform the sites you were closing your accounts as well as the card issuers?

In my opinion you should demand that BC reverses all the payment (charge back) made after the date you told BC to cease payments.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi Gersnet,

Did you use the actual credit card to run up this credit of £4.6K.

If so, I do not see how anyone else is responsible. Surely the answer would have been to destroy the card yourself when BC said your request would be passed on to the relevant dep't.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 1 month later...

Hi there gers, as you are probably aware the best course of action would be to close the bookmaker/gambling site account.

If you can't stop, is it worth cancelling your internet connection/smart phone so you can't gamble online? Have you tried GA at all?

To be honest, although the credit card company have been lacking, I don't think they can't be held responsible for your actions. Call them and tell them to put an immediate stop on your card so no further damage can be done.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but wish you the best and hope you can recover from this.