How To Decline A Smart Meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3013 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just to be clear, what I wanted back from SP should have sounded something like this:

Thankyou for your notice of Non-Consent to our SMART meter /AMR initiative.

We can see you have done your own research over this issue and therefore deem it improper to try to shovel our agenda onto you any further.

We respect your Consumer rights to refuse SMART meters and can Re-assure you that the Government and ourselves fully supports any Consumers who wish to refuse.

We will not be installing a SMART meter and here is the manufacturer/make/model information of the Meter replacement we would like to offer you when it comes time to change your meter. We noted you wanted these details in advance to check the meter was safe for your medical needs. Please let us know.

Whilst you need offer us no reasons for refusing a SMART meter, we are grateful you took the time out to explain your medical condition to us and completely understand with being Electro Sensitive, why you would reject these meters.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused to you. No doubt the minute saved every 4months with the AMR has already been well used up for the next century in composing these letters to us.

Kind Regards. .

Yes, that is the sort of response, more or less , I was looking for :-/ - Not yet there...

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I am a bit of a wimp and don't mind saying that this has terrified the life out of me!

Forcibly inserting a smart metre against consumers consent.

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/uk-energy-firm-caught-forcibly-installing-smart-meter-against-persons-consent/

I don't know what the 'stamped and sealed' part of the warrant means - whether this bit is true or not. But bottom line is that if he was behind with his payments and the metre had to be changed - then surely it could have been and legally should have been to a non-smart metre.

I was researching if a Uk warrant does have to be 'stamped and sealed' for it to be legal and valid. I only found reference to USA law where so long as there is an original stamped and held at the court, it is valid not to have it. Does anyone know Uk law on this?

Also, I have noticed that ex-army are being specifically targeted and recruited to retrain as smart metre installers. I thought that slightly odd.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/military-law-jobs/ex-military-become-a-dual-fuel-smart-metering-engineer-/1118914606

In all parts of the country and good money too 28-35k

• 2 months later...

Any updates on this? (knowledge not guesswork or wishful thinking please)

I have just received my letter saying they are coming to install a new meter in a weeks time.

Update

Just had a palaver on their website where as usual they demand all sorts of info they dont need before they will accept the form - and it generates google recaptcha errors.

What a heap of dog smear

T

Why trust doctors and science, when you can trust the internets:

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

“The fossil fuel industry is feasting on subsidies and windfall profits

while household budgets shrink and our planet burns"

UN secretary general Antonio Guterres

@tobyjugg2

I sent the Template of non-consent and notice of liability as given on this website.

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/

All Ok.

Law still remains: consumers are NOT legally obliged to accept smart metres.

Hi,

I saw that template, but it was a bit OTT for a straightlace like me, so I ended up rescheduling on the webpage and noting in the comments that I did not agree to the installation of a smart meter and that installation would NOT be allowed if a smart meter was brought to be installed.

I required confirmation of agreement to those terms before the new installation date would be considered as agreed.

I'll report back on what happens.

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

Hi,

I saw that template, but it was a bit OTT for a straightlace like me, so I ended up rescheduling on the webpage and noting in the comments that I did not agree to the installation of a smart meter and that installation would NOT be allowed if a smart meter was brought to be installed.

I required confirmation of agreement to those terms before the new installation date would be considered as agreed.

Currently looking at secure locks for meter cupboards.

Hi,

ha ha I know what you mean re: length and contents

Is your metre outside? A lock maybe prudent then. Thanks in advance for reporting back...

Nor are suppliers legally obliged to provide you with electricity.

Why try to scaremonger with this?

Shops aren't legally obliged to sell anything either? And yet Consumers have rights.

The legal right in this instance is to refuse a SMART metre pulsing out, imo and the opinion of many scientists, dangerous levels of radiations 24/7.

Is your metre outside? A lock maybe prudent then. Thanks in advance for reporting back...

Yes. The standard meter box type latches are riveted in though, but I should now have a couple of months to find an alternative and get my drill and rivet gun out.

Office metal cabinet locks look a possible answer although I might end up sending that template you referred anyway.

Shame they don't have a simpler one that simply refers to the notice and requirement for them to accept the notice without all the reasons - which should not be necessary..

Its not looking good so far with trying to get national grid to do anything other than them choose their own installation dates with no assurances regarding the smart meter.

I feel a battle coming on.

Just imagine what some incompetent mismanaging heinous's like Npower could do with remote access control of meters!

Not a single supply anywhere would be safe.

Well, just to reassure you, after I sent the template, I heard nothing else from SP. So I was grateful and relieved.

I haven't even really given that angle much thought (since its the health implication that's most concerning me for now) but it is certainly interesting where we all seem to be headed.

Thank goodness for the sensible countries and states that have banned these already.

There may also be a genuine concern from government (because its sure not about reducing our consumption just by installing and watching them - increasing our bills by £400) when we will need to ration our power out and have enforced blackouts. Therefore they will just turn us off remotely. Theoretically, I am not that opposed to this.

LOL

Ended up sending the email,

it would appear that nationalgrid, the people doing the meter changes, are not on the notify list yet Andy Burnham is.

- bit irrational.

Neither do they send you a copy of the email generated and sent on your behalf.

Neither does there seem to be a 'contact us' to inform them of their faux ups on the page - although I have found a contact page in resources

LOL

Ended up sending the email,

it would appear that nationalgrid, the people doing the meter changes, are not on the notify list yet Andy Burnham is.

- bit irrational.

Neither do they send you a copy of the email generated and sent on your behalf.

Neither does there seem to be a 'contact us' to inform them of their faux ups on the page - although I have found a contact page in resources

It may just be a simple oversight... I do not understand the whole choice of MPs really. I had not realised NationalGrid was doing the change.... Go for it @TobyJugg2 and if appropriate please do let this thread know of the feedback you get for pointing this out to stop smart metres.

I expect the 'contact us' being on the resources page is a deliberabte choice though in order to reduce contact. I expect they are rather swamped and so it is only those who REALLY want to contact them that will go searching.

I have contacted them originally and they were really helpful as the smart metres did cause me initial upset.

They very quickly responded saying they were working on some issue, and that I could send it to national grid myself.

Issue with that is that I didnt have a copy of what they sent - until one of the suppliers included a copy of what was sent.

Although the response was quick, and if you copy and save stuff yourself to use, there are useful

but NOT impressed so far with the initial set up, tinfoil hat mentality and lack of simply letting you know what they are sending.

They would seem to be reducing the effectiveness, reach and credibility of their program quite significantly.

Thanks for posting reply TJ2

I am sure they will take your comments on board. They could probably do with bringing it more up to date. I think a copy of what is sent is a good idea. It is the template itself shown on the template page. I imagine this is easily rectified too.

I checked out national grid as I was going to post the email address but can't find it anywhere under metering. I am going to look under the complaints section next, I guess that would be appropriate...

I think they do quite a good job of keeping the subject matter scientific and 'respectable' away from the 'tin foil hat mentality', personally.

I see snowden makes a comment in this trailer for the film 'Take back your power'

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/film/

It does appeal to my profound sense of humour sending the government this template as a secondary effect re: snowden revelations.

I think the template is including ALL angles. Perhaps there should be as you say simpler templates focusing only on one or two issues to choose from.

Two and a half thousand people have sent this one, but maybe as it reaches a wider audience, changes are appropriate.

Thanks for posting reply TJ2

I am sure they will take your comments on board. They could probably do with bringing it more up to date. I think a copy of what is sent is a good idea. It is the template itself shown on the template page. I imagine this is easily rectified too.

I checked out national grid as I was going to post the email address but can't find it anywhere under metering. I am going to look under the complaints section next, I guess that would be appropriate...

I think they do quite a good job of keeping the subject matter scientific and 'respectable' away from the 'tin foil hat mentality', personally.

I see snowden makes a comment in this trailer for the film 'Take back your power'

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/film/

It does appeal to my profound sense of humour sending the government this template as a secondary effect re: snowden revelations.

I think the template is including ALL angles. Perhaps there should be as you say simpler templates focusing only on one or two issues to choose from.

Two and a half thousand people have sent this one, but maybe as it reaches a wider audience, changes are appropriate.

I have some highly relevant personal emails at nationalgrid despite their trying very hard not to let any out.

Why try to scaremonger with this?

Shops aren't legally obliged to sell anything either? And yet Consumers have rights.

The legal right in this instance is to refuse a SMART metre pulsing out, imo and the opinion of many scientists, dangerous levels of radiations 24/7.

Not trying to scaremonger, just pointing out that if you continue to refuse a Smart meter when a supplier wants to install one, they have no obligation to retain you as a customer.

Not trying to scaremonger, just pointing out that if you continue to refuse a Smart meter when a supplier wants to install one, they have no obligation to retain you as a customer.

I disagree. They have a duty to supply fairly under the terms of your agreement with them, and the regulations and legislation in place.

Energy suppliers signing up and adhering to the various codes of conduct is a requirement for their license.

One of the core principals is to treat their customers fairly.

Removing service based on not complying with unreasonable contract terms or requirements, especially some that breach a customers basic rights to privacy (among others), is in no way treating a customer fairly.

... and it has been quite clearly stated by the regulator and ministers that smart meters are NOT compulsory.

I disagree. They have a duty to supply fairly under the terms of your agreement with them, and the regulations and legislation in place.

Energy suppliers signing up and adhering to the various codes of conduct is a requirement for their license.

One of the core principals is to treat their customers fairly.

Removing service based on not complying with unreasonable contract terms or requirements, especially some that breach a customers basic rights to privacy (among others), is in no way treating a customer fairly.

... and it has been quite clearly stated by the regulator and ministers that smart meters are NOT compulsory.

Yes, exactly right.

wecare@nationalgrid.com

Or write to:

Customer Support Team

National Grid

Brick Kiln Street

Hinckley

Leicestershire

LE10 0NA

This is the Nation Grid email and address in case it helps - under the complaints/thankyou section.

They care, so I expect they will be fully informing customers of the dangers of these SMART metres before installing them.

wecare@nationalgrid.com

Or write to:

Customer Support Team

National Grid

Brick Kiln Street

Hinckley

Leicestershire

LE10 0NA

This is the Nation Grid email and address in case it helps - under the complaints/thankyou section.

They care, so I expect they will be fully informing customers of the dangers of these SMART metres before installing them.

LOL

"Your gas meter is due to be exchanged and its free of charge"

Domestic Service Delivery Manager

who's signature is on the letter is Annette Edmond at nationalgrid.com tongue.gif