poss going to prison for benefit fraud? - ** RESOLVED WITH SUSPENDED SENTENCE **

Mummytotwox
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3870 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Neither did I. It was all spent on the expenses of a new family - twins, as I was claiming as I was out of work - just the odd few cash in hand jobs when they came about. Probably earned no more than £700 over the two years but ended up repaying all of the benefits received for those two years - £12,000!!!

As well as spending a month in prison.

That completely sucks. And people wonder why you get fed up hearing the depressed card put out there. The trouble is, the penalties these days for benefit fraud aren't working as a deterrent, especially with single mums moving their boyfriends in. It's so easy to do it though, there are women on my facebook having their boyfriends stopping most nights in the week, young single mums with council properties & toddlers on full benefits, & boyfriends that live with mum & dad & find it more fun playing happy families at the girlfriends.

It's just down to luck when it comes to getting away with it or getting caught...

edit: I have got someone close to me that ended up in court for working at a temp agency for a couple of months back in the day, a recently ex boyfriend bubbled her to 'the social' & they turned up at the temp agency asking to see their records. £450 benefit fraud, had to pay it back out of future benefits, but no criminal record, we're talking the 80's, so way before you got a criminal record for it.

A married friend got her to go along with her to get a temp job, but the friend wasn't on benefits! I don't even think data matching went on then so unless someone grassed you up, it was probably hard to be found out?

Edited by jadeybags

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but they have an axe to grind.

This thread is now WAY beyond any useful advice this site can give & looking at newspaper stories of other cases or sharing experience of old benefit fraud prosecutions is of little help.

No case is the same & no court experience is the same. Its now up to the judge, the solicitors, what mitigation is taken into account etc etc etc.

Mummytotwox should really be talking to her solicitor about these things as he/she will be the person talking on their behalf in court.

Agree totally.

It is agreed that this thread is now no longer servicing the original poster. So it is being closed.

If at some time mummyoftwotwox wishes to update the thread, perhaps she could just let a site team member know.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. I have a court date on Monday for benefit fraud. I admit fully i was in the wrong. I did not do it for luxury or anything.

Anyway I know there's a chance I could go prison. There's a 50/50chance. I am trying to make sure my babies (age 5&4) are okay and sorted. My husband works 6 days a week. From 6-6 every day.

I have no idea how to sort child care ect out. Plus we can't really afford to pay high childcare costs. Daughter is at school, son isn't.

What help will there be for my husband or my kids?

So there's a chance I could be going to prison on Monday. 50/50 chance, I admitted to benefit fraud from 2009-2012. I take full responsibility.

But now I am trying to make sure my babies are sorted for if I do go inside. My husband works 6am-6pm 5 days a week. So I'm just wondering if there's any help for childcare costs? My daughter is at school but my son isn't. I'm really worried that he will have to lose his job.

numerous threads merged on the same poss fraud issue

please keep to ONE THREAD

for the sake of the advise

[that you are not going to prison]

can be seen and read.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Anyone? I am starting to really get scared.

What sort of things should I take court incase I do go inside?

I realise that you are scared and want some sort of reassurance, but no one can say with certainty what will happen. You've done everything you can do, just take deep breaths every time you get scared and don't give in to panic.

As to practical advice, a benefits advice forum is not going to be the right place to ask those questions. Even as a former rep, I have no experience of what goes on in criminal court as we were only involved in the civil side. Maybe you could try and find a forum with solicitors on it who would know the answers to the practical questions.

I truly hope you are treated with leniency and are able to come back and update us as to how it went.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

There should be a duty solicitor available at the court ask as soon as you get to the court.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Has your case actually been discussed with this solicitor, imo with the apparent threat of a custodial sentence the case should have been gone through a full discussion.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

So hello.

I got to court at 9.30am, as court opens at 10.

Loads and loads of people there.

All their solicitors came and spoke to them, but mine didn't.

I started to panic, what if they weren't going to turn up?

At 11, he turned up.

He was the head of the team.

I was taken into a room, and went through everything. Poured my heart out.

He told me that because the amount of money owed, I will likely have to go to crown court.

He said it would possibly be better to go crown as I will get a lesser sentence then I would at magistrates.

Plus I was a thousand pound over for magistrates.

He told me he will fight for it to be all done today.

Rather then spread out over 3 weeks.

I then had to wait.

At 12 I got called in,

I started to cry like a baby, I was terrified.

Listened to everything they had to say and the judge agreed to hear it at magistrates!

First hurdle down!

I was then told I would have to get a fast track probation form down that day,

off I went and was interviewed again by a lovely women.

Then I had to wait around for sentencing.

I was told to expect upto 12months inside.

I have never ever been so scared.

Was called back in at 4.30.

Had to listen again to everything. The judge then retired and came back.

She said

" we both agree that you knew what you was doing, but because of financial reasons you struggled.

But it is a lot of money you have taken from tax payers, and because we don't want people to think they can do this

and get away with it, (I started sobbing!!) I am sentencing you to 16weeks custodial.

We have agreed to shorting it alone cause of the early guilty plea.

Because of that we are suspending the sentence for 12 months. I don't expect to see you here ever again, and I believe you know what you have done is wrong. You may now leave".

I could have ran and kissed her.

I am telling you now.

I would never ever ever do anything so stupid in my life!!!!

Hello again.

Thank you very much for coming back to tell us, a lot of people don't. This must be a huge relief to you and I hope you manage to organise your affairs so that you aren't in this position again. Caggers will help you if they can.

I'll change your thread title. :)

Take care, HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

This is indeed good news.

It might be worth contacting somewhere like National Debtline or Citizens Advice and have them help you organise your finances.

:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have paid a £80 victims fee. I am very greatfaul for having nothing else apart for suspended. But like my solicitor said, sending me to court will mean my husband will need to give up his job, and go on benefits. Not good.

You will probably find that the DWP/LA will now press for the repayment of all of the monies.

This thread has now served it's purpose. In order to prevent more of the rather unkind comments being posted up, the thread is being closed. Thank you to all who offered mummyoftwox support and advice.

BCOBS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3870 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks