Income Based JSA - Broke the Rules

jamesharris343
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning All,

I have got into an absolute mess with my JSA from not understanding all the rules :-(

I discovered last week that I have been overpaid because of savings (£8000). This has led me to start googling and reading forums and now I have learnt that I should not go on a UK holiday without informing them which Ive done three times [bangs head on table].

Incidently Im talking about 4 day breaks. I assume if you have a night away in a hotel - that doesnt count as a holiday ?!?

I had no idea about these facts - Why they dont give you a list of dos and donts when you register is beyond me. How else are you supposed to know? Its not like a 'career' where you learn about the job and research it. I signed on for help and thought that was that!!!

Anyway - Whats done is done ...

What is going to happen? I know I need to pay back for money they have over paid me. Could there be any other implications for these two failures? Im mainly concerned about any criminial investigations ?!?! I'm going to sign off now until the new year anyway as all this is making me ill and its just not worth it for £70 a month. But just need to get all this rubbish resolved.

Any advice as always is much appreciated. James

A four day holiday is just a long weekend away somewhere - Wouldn't worry about it as long as you met the terms of your Job Seeker's Agreement. You could even say you were investigating the job market further afield, but you'd need to back this up with some form of evidence. But you are unlikely to get asked unless you tell them.

As for the overpayment - Even if you sign off now, at some point in the future, your claim may be examined and the overpayment discovered. It may take five years, or twenty, either way the DWP will want their money back and could recover it from pension payments if they have to wait that long. As you were £2K over the £6K threshold, the overpayment will only amount to a few pounds a week.

If you have also been claiming housing benefit and council tax relief, the total overpayment is going to be much higher.

You have a simple choice - Hope that the DWP never find out about the savings and overpayment. Or write to them and tell them that you think a mistake has been made.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

A four day holiday is just a long weekend away somewhere - Wouldn't worry about it as long as you met the terms of your Job Seeker's Agreement. You could even say you were investigating the job market further afield, but you'd need to back this up with some form of evidence. But you are unlikely to get asked unless you tell them.

As for the overpayment - Even if you sign off now, at some point in the future, your claim may be examined and the overpayment discovered. It may take five years, or twenty, either way the DWP will want their money back and could recover it from pension payments if they have to wait that long. As you were £2K over the £6K threshold, the overpayment will only amount to a few pounds a week.

If you have also been claiming housing benefit and council tax relief, the total overpayment is going to be much higher.

You have a simple choice - Hope that the DWP never find out about the savings and overpayment. Or write to them and tell them that you think a mistake has been made.

Hi Mr P,

Good news on the holiday front. The overpayment they are already aware (thats how I found out about it as I was pulled in for it).

I get council tax benefit as well [bangs head on wall] - What will be the implications for that?

James

Hi Mr P,

Good news on the holiday front. The overpayment they are already aware (thats how I found out about it as I was pulled in for it).

I get council tax benefit as well [bangs head on wall] - What will be the implications for that?

James

The nominal reduction for JSA Income based is £1 for every £250 over £6000 in capital/savings. JSA Income Based stops completely when you hit the £16000 mark.

Savings etc do not matter if you are on Contribution based benefits.

Go with a policy of don't ask don't tell on the holidays. These notification rules were written well before the days of mobile telephones and internet so as Mr P says....... as long as you met your JSAg that's all that matters.

Not sure on the CT but you could bang your details into a benefits checker like entitledto to see what you should/will be getting.

The overpayment they are already aware (thats how I found out about it as I was pulled in for it).

The DWP will inform your local council who will then demand repayments, possibly around the same figure as the DWP will want. Best bet is to inform the council now before the DWP do it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

If your CT benefit is based on an award of income based jsa then there will be no change to your award. But if you stop JSA your CTR will need to be reassessed based on your income and savings.

Edited by estellyn

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I've gone over the council website 10x since your reply and can find no mention of any figures - I'll try a seperate post on here, thank you.

Is there any possible legal action regarding any of this?

Thanks, James

Since I gather from your other thread that it's Compliance that are dealing with the case then, as long as you supply the required evidence, it seems unlikely that they intend to pursue a criminal case over this.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.