style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3812 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There are over 3000 tests licensed for use in the UK

You may find a visit to the BPS website interesting

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are over 3000 tests licensed for use in the UK

You may find a visit to the BPS website interesting

Paul Dickens, a Chartered Psychologist and managing partner of Edinburgh-based Core Business Psychology Ltd comments

"In my experience, time spent by effective leaders and teams in understanding their own and others' personality characteristics pays dividends in allowing them to fully appreciate and employ the advantages that diversity brings, or the need to develop coping mechanisms to avoid issues such as groupthink if there is a strong tendency towards similarity of personality types."

http://www.bps.org.uk/news/businesses-need-different-personalities

Or "That looks interesting over there, park the aeroplane and let's have a look ...."

"Its witchcraft ? ..."

Edited by Perseus1

I have not got time to look into this:

http://www.psychtesting.org.uk/

Proper tests could be very useful. I think badly designed tests could be worse than useless, even harmful. How do some bad tests sneak under the radar. Doesn't anybody check them out?

PS: I knew it was two separate subjects and the thread has rather transgressed.

Edited by Perseus1

Perseus, I usually help people with actual specific problems. You seem to want a theoretical discussion - Afraid I don't have time for that but others may. Enjoy!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Perseus, I usually help people with actual specific problems. You seem to want a theoretical discussion - Afraid I don't have time for that but others may. Enjoy!

Sorry. Two separate subjects got merged. Common sense tips are appreciated,. Sometimes, I can miss the obvious.

They look massively related topics to me; its just pointless getting into test selection as a) you have no control over it b) all the answers are on the internet. Your job hunting efforts could be more pragmatic.Pragmatic people get most of the jobs

I would start with a list of companies who pride themselves on employing older people and give them great opportunities. See from this list if there is any that sound good.

I found it interesting on the News yesterday that Iceland has been voted as the Happiest place to work in the UK!

I would start with a list of companies who pride themselves on employing older people and give them great opportunities. See from this list if there is any that sound good.

I found it interesting on the News yesterday that Iceland has been voted as the Happiest place to work in the UK!

Thanks. The list did not show.

I do look for firms (not retail) that look promising. I figure if I got in before the Recruitment Agencies I would have more chance. The old Work Clubs were better than the WP. I actually got a job through them. I was the only person that did. Trouble is the job was unsuitable.

The Job descriptions on offer need a bit of interpretation. A bit glossed up, some of them.

All Change Now:

Please understand that when companies hire a job candidate, they’re making a big investment. And so, they must do their due diligence, which is similar to what you do when you’re considering a big investment or a decision. A part of that due diligence involves finding out more information about you than what you intended to provide via your résumé. My advice to people seeking employment is to become knowledgeable about and active with social media and at the same time to be careful of what they post in cyberspace. Whatever it is, make sure you’re consistent. A significant discrepancy between your résumé and your cyber persona could be very detrimental.

http://news.monster.com/a/business/the-psychology-of-finding-a-job-a98528?WT.mc_n=CRMUS002053

How what font do I use? Arial or Calibri ? (Specific Question)

I have started calling my CV a résumé in the last few weeks. I suppose I will put in the acute diacrtics ?? Do you ?

Edited by Perseus1

Once I click on to this Job searching game, there are more jobs (even for misfits) out there than I envisaged. I live in a bit of a backwater though. Jobs are very much centred in the hotspots.

Fortunately, I am computer savvy.

Not made to be a financial Fat Cat though.

PS: And now they want me to pay a subscription ....

Edited by Perseus1

I am recovering from an injury.

I would like inside information about medicals for jobs please.

http://www.theresourcechannel.com.au/files/theresou/uploads/Guide%20-%20The%20Pre-Employment%20Medical_0.pdf

Specific question: high blood pressure readings that will come out on the test. More accurately, highly fluctuating readings.

Lowest reading 146/93 which I consider low, but it will go much higher than that with the white coat syndrome.

I passed the ATOS medical so I am not about to die. But my reading then was 186/108. The Doctor at the medical was obliged to fill in a form for this and send it to my Doctor.

Not over weight and only marginally high bad cholesterol.

What sort of jobs ask for medicals nowadays please? Aged 61.

Edited by Perseus1

Addenda:

Monitoring diversity

Employers can still ask questions about *applicants’ disabilities to monitor the diversity of their workforce. Diversity monitoring forms should be kept separate from other recruitment documents and should ideally not be made available to any decision-makers in the recruitment process.

It is acceptable to ask if the candidate can perform functions that are intrinsic to the role. The exception that is likely to be relied upon most heavily is the provision that *allows employers to ask pre-employment health questions that are “necessary” to *establish whether or not a candidate “will be able to carry out a function which is intrinsic to the work concerned”.

http://www.personneltoday.com/hr/legal-perspective-on-pre-employment-health-questions/

The most encouraging bit is:

As a rule, questions about current health are much more likely to be considered “necessary” than questions about past health. Employers should avoid asking questions that start with: “Have you ever suffered from…

Section 60 of the Act provides that, other than in certain circumstances, employers must not ask about the health of job applicants before making a job offer.

The Equality Act 2010 came into force on 1 October 2010. While it is largely a consolidation of existing law, it does include some significant changes. In particular, the Act includes a general prohibition on employers asking pre-employment health questions. There are several exceptions to the prohibition and it remains to be seen exactly how it will work in practice as the provisions leave some scope for interpretation by courts and tribunals. What is clear, however, is that the new provisions are likely to have a significant impact on the role of OH professionals in the recruitment process.

Edited by Perseus1

All kinds of jobs may ask for medicals, the important thing is to be applying for jobs you are fit to do.

Not a doctor but normal BP is 120/80 and once you get to 140 you need to be talking to your doctor, I believe. Hope you checked in!

I don't know if I should share this and also depends on the job requirements.

Your blood pressure is moderately hypertensive ( 146/93), are you taking medication that would give a higher pressure( ie anti depression) and are you receiving medication to lower it, you should be.

Now the part I'm not sure about sharing, mods can remove if I shouldn't. Disclaimer, telling you this for information only ;-) .

If one didn't eat the day before and before the medical it would lower their blood pressure, but would make them weaker if there was a physical assessment ie; assault course or step up/VO2 max test. Not dangerous as a lot of people miss meals especially if anxious about a medical ;-) wink,wink.

I wouldn't expect a 61 yr old to achieve 120/80 unless he was an athlete.

I wouldn't expect a 61 yr old to achieve 120/80 unless he was an athlete.

I was 120/80 then I got an injury and it instantly went to 186/108 and above. Gradually coming down as a I heal. Fluctuations are a bit wild. I think I will put that down to white coat syndrome. Doctor does.

What it is now that counts, so I should be OK.

Ok, sounds like you shouldnt be worried then. I wonder why you asked if you don't have a problem with it now.

I expect the injury stopped you exercising, must have been laid off a while as it wouldn't go down over night unless medication had an effect.

Ok, sounds like you shouldnt be worried then. I wonder why you asked if you don't have a problem with it now.

I expect the injury stopped you exercising, must have been laid off a while as it wouldn't go down over night unless medication had an effect.

Yep, I think I think my football career is over before it even started. I'll have to be a Manager.

Lateral thinking process. Some people suggest that you should rush back into work as soon as you can. Depends on the goal bonus to me.

Feeling like Vicente Rodríguez right now.

Edited by Perseus1

https://www.gov.uk/rights-disabled-person/employment

How do people deal with disabilities and health problems when applying for a job?

Non specific questions, just any tips please.

Two problems (small but possibly significant) occur:

1) The application form asks if you are disabled.

2) Explaining a job gap through illness or injury.

The first one I deal with by ticking no in the box because I do not want charity.

That is OK unless they omit something about the job in the description, I cannot do. But that's their fault.

The second one, I can gloss over because I was still doing some work in the gap, although most of it was unpaid or unprofitable.

If the job was any good and employer was just half way perceptive, they would see through the gloss though.

Edited by Perseus1

If you are disabled tick the box

a) if you dont and it comes out later it's an instant dismissal for breakdown of trust

b) if the employer uses the 2 ticks scheme is a guaranteed interview if you meet the essential criteria

Forgive me if I am speaking out of turn but you are asking a lot of questions, which can be a sign of anxiety or loneliness. Are you getting counselling support? Usually you can access this via your GP. Whodo you have to discuss your job hunt with outside of this forum?

If you are disabled tick the box

a) if you dont and it comes out later it's an instant dismissal for breakdown of trust

b) if the employer uses the 2 ticks scheme is a guaranteed interview if you meet the essential criteria

Forgive me if I am speaking out of turn but you are asking a lot of questions, which can be a sign of anxiety or loneliness. Are you getting counselling support? Usually you can access this via your GP. Whodo you have to discuss your job hunt with outside of this forum?

I don't want to drift off on to a tangent.

The simple question is when or when do you have to put a tick in the box for disabled?

"You may be asked whether you have a health condition or disability on an application form or in an interview. You need to think about whether the question is one that is allowed to be asked at that stage of recruitment."

It looks like I can omit to complete this part without any consequences? The matter will only come up if I am offered the job.

I am returning to the workplace after injury (recovering) and it appears the rules have suddenly changed. I received minimal advice under the old rules.

I do not know if the advice was sound under the old rules when Incapacity Benefit was given (my understanding) if you could not resume employment in your usual trade. Now it seems (my interpretation) is that you are expected to do any job that is suitable.

Now, I do not mind this as I share the view that a suitable job can improve the recovery. On IB I was allowed to do work for charities and this definitely improved my mood, so there is something in what they are saying.

Now, I am ineligible for this work without impinging on my JSA status. The definition of suitable work is vague.

I actually feel that I will be able to resume my normal trade (at reduced capacity), but I find that adapting to different types of work is the difficult bit.

Edited by Perseus1

A guaranteed interview is good interview practice for the employer and unlikely employee. I have been through that. Not any more for me.

I want to get a job on merit please. Other employees in the work place (especially in a new job) will expect me/you to pull my weight and not have any favourable preferences. I would not want it any other way.

I would want a trackball. I cannot use a mouse so well. People are different. Little aids.

As for getting a job, I would like an agent. I prefer just to do the work, not to chase unlikely dreams. That's just my personality. Some people are cut out for different jobs. I am not cut out to be salesman.