Working Tax Credits stopped due to school converting to academy

cabbagebike
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3850 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently received a overpayment notice of Working Tax Credits which were stopped some time back with the only explanation of "change of circumstances". This is the first time I'd actually been receiving Working Tax Credits.

I thought that I'd "used up all my credit" and that the payments has stopped as they had "ran out". I called HMRC to query this and all they could say it that they were informed I was no longer working for the same employer. Only since, I've been able to work out that the payments stopped around the time when the school I work at converted into an academy. We were told nothing would change jobwise, financially etc etc and nothing did as far as I was aware.

So now it looks like I've missed out on quite a few months of Working Tax Credits and have been hit with a bill where they paid it before the county council appears to have told them I no longer work for them. What really gets me is that it's the same county council who is handling all the pay & wages still!

I've asked the HMRC to send me an appeal form as, as far I was aware, nothing had changed for me: I was still doing the same job at the same place for the same salary (being processed by the same department) and informed nothing else would be affected.

Is there anything else that I can do to support my case? The way I see it is that I was not informed the specific reason why it was stopped and it was something "out of my hands". There was no indication that I would have to re-apply due to the school changing over.

Any help would be gratefully received as it's the first time I've claimed Working Tax Credits.

Thank you.

Sounds like a mix up to me. I would just explain the situation and be very firm. Be aware that sometimes hmrc make things up, so be very firm (but nice!). I'm sure they don't mean to, but they don't always know the rules. Recently they tried to transfer my debt to my partner. When he point blank refused to talk to them they backed down and admitted they can't do that. Hmmm....

I received the appeal form and was really surprised to see it being just barely over a page in length. Also, it doesn't let me explain fully about me not having any circumstances change.

Through further calls to the employer and county council, a change of tax reference has been the cause of this. I was informed that they would not have told or have needed to have told me! The tax references should have been matched up so the records would be continuous.

Calling HMRC again, I've still been informed to pay the "overcharge" (I should be owed over 6 months worth of Working Tax Credits that weren't paid due to this problem) before the appeal is even looked at. I'll be able to send additional information that you can't get onto their limited form. The call answered said they understood my situation but I still had to go through this process.

The school said it's probably the council's fault, the council say that it's probably the school's fault. HMRC, unless they say otherwise, say it's mine! I'm not happy at all :-x

The school said no-one else had had any problems like this.

Is there anything else I can do that may help?

Many thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

You do not need to use the form.

If you read the notes at the start of the form it tells you - so you could write your appeal in the form of a letter giving as much detail as possble

Your appeal needs to be in writing.

You can:

• complete and send the attached appeal form to us or

• send us a letter —

give your name —

you must write Appeal and give your National Insurance number at the top of the letter —

tell us the date shown at the top of the decision letter and —

tell us what you think is wrong and which decision you are appealing against.