Trick question: how long does a 6 year default last??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3846 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

This is not a trick question.

Around Nov 2007 (or it could have been Nov 2008) four defaults were registered against my name.

They all hit my account around the same time as I had gone through a Debt Management Company.

Last year, I settled all four defaults and they are registered on my Experian report as "satisfied".

During the last few months, I have been trying to obtain a mortgage and it was then that I realised that the default dates

have been changed and instead of coming off my file on or around the same time,

there is a difference of one or two years so effectively I will have defaults registered until 2016!!

I contacted Experian who said that although at the time the defaults were registered by the same lender,

as two of the accounts were passed to collectors they can effectively "restart the clock" on my defaults

- so regardless of how many years the default had been on my name,

they would have re-registered it when the company took over the debt. Is this correct?

If so, doesn't this mean that I could have the same default registered for over 6 years??

How can this be right?

According to Experian this is legal!!!

Please tell me their wrong :!:

I had similar with Halifax reported this to ICO and they said only 1 default date on an account if the debt is passed to a dca they can change the name of the creditor to their name but the default date must be the same as old record.

I had this with an account I had with Halifax they just added a second record to my CRA file for the collections debt with a default date from when collections got the account.

ICO ordered them to have only 1 default and that default had to have the original default date. They also had to pay me £50 compensation.

dpick

yep

the default date CANNOT CHANGE

it can be updated, but that still means the whole account will vanish on the original defaults 6th birthday.

you paying the debt, wont have any bearing on when it goes.

All references to a defaulted debt must be removed from your credit files

after 6 years has passed from date of default

- whether paid off or not.

This is so that someone who continues paying something even after 6 years from default

should not be at a disadvantage as to someone who pays nothing after default

and ends up with a clean file after 6 years.

once a debt has fallen of due to this reason, it can NEVER return.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you James. Thats the problem when dealing with the "experts" you expect them to know and give you advice. I did challenge the person in Experian at the time and said that it didn't make any sense. The additional problem I have is Experian said they were unable to see when the defaults were originally registered - apparently they can only see what I see (??) and was unable to look at my records from 2007/8 to see when the defaults were first registered. Once again, I suspect this is not the case. Are you able to confirm?

Retraining, the operative should have been properly trained before being allowed to advise the public, some would have believed the information and let it ride.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

So true! Its a shame but these days I tend to challege the majority of the "advice" given by the "experts" as I find that the advice that is given is not the actual case. Half the time, its because they do not have the information and believe by saying something is better than admitting that they don't know. I just go by my moto....if it doesn't make sense then its probably not true. :-)

Thank you dpick - this is really helpful. Just checking...but who is ICO?

Information Commissioner :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Good Idea a formal complaint to the ICO and they will investigate but it takes a considerable time.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Good Idea a formal complaint to the ICO and they will investigate but it takes a considerable time.

Hi Brigadier2JCS, thanks for your post.

However, on the advice given by JamesJ I have written to customerrelations@uk.expe rian.com

who have responded promptly and confirmed the advice that everyone has given

i.e. the date should not change on a default which definiately contradicts the advice initially given by an "advisor" from Experian.

At this time I'm content with the course of action they are taking so I'll wait to see the outcome before I take it further.

However I do know of someone else who is in a similar position but their default was due to end in a couple of months

and the debt was passed to a collection company who promptly re-registered the debt

- effectively meaning the same default would be registered for 12 years!!

Of course I've passed on the knowlege I've acquired from my query.

However, a big thank you once again to the advice given by everyone.

This is the only site I can rely on for advice that I don't have to challenge! :-)

DCA's will try and get away with anything to spoof people

a default date cannot be changed.

many times you find people are confusing the 'update' default info with the org date.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

DCA's will try and get away with anything to spoof people

a default date cannot be changed.

many times you find people are confusing the 'update' default info with the org date.

dx

How true date last updated must not be confused with the default date.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for jumping in here guys.

Would this also be true for a ccj, ie 6 years and it falls off your credit file regardless of if its been satisfied or still being paid off.

I was under the impression that once it falls off your credit file after the 6 year period it should never re appear.

The following links seem to confirm this ie

http://www.justanswer.com/uk-law/6fdmd-ccj-held-record-years-date-entered.html

http://www.debtquestions.co.uk/debt_forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30668&p=224184

Thanks for any advice and sorry for jumping in on the thread.

A ccj falls off after 6 years but remains payable. It doesnt become sb but if the creditor hasnt taken any wction on the ccj in those 6 years then they'll find it difficult to get enforcement orders.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Default entries are removed on the 6th Anniversary of the default paid or not, there cannot be further reporting on these accounts.

My main issue with the CRAs at the moment seems to be their 'linked' addresses, they appear to have linked me to the entire block of flats I live in, even though I have no financial connection with anybody in this block.

They also cannot properly identify me because I have opted out of the edited council tax register - clearly in my case they are not fit for purpose.

If the Experian rep can contact me about this issue I would appreciate it. I need to sort out the mess on my files and make sure that I can get some benefit for having repaid a load of debt!