British Gas Force entry into home - Despite havign been told there was NO Gas Supply !!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3884 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

British Gas broke into businesswoman's home over an unpaid bill despite not having any gas appliances in her flat

Stephanie MacDonald-Walker received a £367 gas bill from British Gas

She contacted the company to tell them there was no gas supply to her flat

But she returned home after work to find a British Gas worker had broken in

British Gas has been forced to apologise to a businesswoman after the company broke into her home to switch off a gas supply that didn't even exist.

Stephanie MacDonald-Walker was stunned when she came home to find a worker from the energy giant had forced his way into her flat in an attempt to fit a pre-payment meter.

'I told them I had no gas supply at my flat so the unpaid bill had absolutely nothing to do with me.

'Despite all this information, they chose to break into my home while I was out at work.

'They left a note in my apartment explaining they had entered but couldn't find the gas to turn off and would I call them immediately.

British Gas said it applied to the courts for a warrant to enter Ms Macdonald-Walker's flat 'in error' as it held the wrong meter reference for her home.

Spokeswoman Leonie Edwards said: 'I am very sorry we entered Ms MacDonald-Walker's flat in error.

'As soon as we entered her property and saw there was no meter, we left and secured her home.

'We are investigating this as a matter of urgency and have contacted Ms MacDonald-Walker to apologise.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2431864/British-Gas-broke-businesswomans-home-unpaid-despite-having-gas-appliances-flat.html#ixzz2gMoyfcLV

I would hope they provided this poor woman with more than just an apology !!

This is not a one off situation, there are many similar stories on CAG

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

When the utility companies apply for these warrants, do the courts not send any kind of notification to the person involved so that they can supply a defence/explanation?

This is what it says..

HOW ENERGY COMPANIES CAN ENTER YOUR HOME

Under the Rights of Entry (Gas and Electricity Boards) Act 1954 an official of a gas or electricity company can enter a private residence in certain situations and under certain conditions.

They can enter a home if a magistrate has given the official a warrant authorising them to enter to either inspect, substitute, remove or to re-install a meter, to alter or repair supply lines or pipes and other fittings or to disconnect the supply.

In order to obtain a warrant, the official must show that the homeowner has been given at least twenty-four hours' notice, has already refused the energy company representative admission to the property, or that the building is unoccupied.

Entry must be at a reasonable time and the official must leave the house as secure against trespassers as it was when he or she arrived.

Reading the newspaper article, it would appear that the warrant was obtained under dubious circumstances at best !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This is what it says..

Reading the newspaper article, it would appear that the warrant was obtained under dubious circumstances at best !!

Complaint (about BG) to the court who issued the warrant, asking them to consider ordering the person who applied for the warrant to attend to explain their actions?.

If I was a Magistrate who had issued such a warrant in good faith based on information supplied, I'd want the person who applied for the warrant to explain how they'd given notice to the home owner and why no notice had been taken of the "no gas here" reply : given the report suggests this was "mistaken address" well before the warrant stage.

Isn't a magistrate or their clerk suppose to check that procedures have been followed before putting their signature to a warrant? I would hassle the court regarding whether checks were made. For all we know magistrates could be signing warrants without them being checked by a court authority which is wrong.

Isn't a magistrate or their clerk suppose to check that procedures have been followed before putting their signature to a warrant? I would hassle the court regarding whether checks were made. For all we know magistrates could be signing warrants without them being checked by a court authority which is wrong.

I wouldn't assume it was the court's error.

If the information laid in front of the magistrate was incorrect, then the fault is not the court's.

This is why I advised asking the court to look at the process : if the court was blameless expect to see the person who laid incorrect information being called to court to explain.

If the court didn't follow usual process it is better to ask what went wrong rather than fire accusations at the court, unless and until it is clearer where the problem lies.

Edited by BazzaS