Is one obliged to find a replacement tenant?

Jessica87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3920 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I'm hoping you can help!

My brother was in a joint tenancy where the fixed part ended and it became a monthly rolling tenancy (I believe this is called a periodic tenancy). Due to difficulties with the other two tenants, he advised the landlord he wanted to leave and gave a months notice. The landlord accepted this but told him he would have to find a replacement tenant before he could leave. He tried to but was unable to do so.

During this time the other tenants decided to leave and gave their notice which ended a month later. The landlord had my brother pay for what would have been his share of this extra month because he had not found a replacement tenant for the final month.

As far as I understand it, the tenancy was terminated for everyone at the end of the notice my brother had given and finding a replacement tenant was not a requirement. If the other two tenants wanted to stay on that is between them and the landlord. My brother only paid the extra months rent because he believed the landlord, though I feel he was misled.

Can anyone shed any light on this, as I'm not sure if I'm correct in thinking my brother was misled and should not have paid for the extra months rent, or if the landlord is correct?

Sorry if I haven't explained myself well, I can provide further information if required.