New driver stopped and given an FPN with £60 crossed out and £100 added in

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So my partner's son was stopped last night and issued with a FPN for offence code 193 'without reasonable consideration for other road users'

Regarding the offence itself he does admit to pulling out late at a junction in front of a van which turned out to be Plod, quick pull over and lecture off Plod during which he swears he was polite and helpful (it would be out of character for him to be otherwise)

After the telling off Plod then say they are sticking him on anyway and write out an FPN

While writing out the FPN Plod crosses out the £60 fee and writes in £100 - is this permitted?

Also as a new driver (one month) is he likely to pay the fine and receive points or will he lose the licence and have to retake the test?

I believe its only 3 points? if so and his license is clean then he wont have to retake test. Omly after six points.

All Fpn's have inrease from 60 to 100. Whilst it doesn't look professional, I can't see a problem with the officer correcting the FPN in pen

It is permitted because the penalty for these types of offences was recently changed from £60 to £100 (and 3 points). Among the offences police can issue a FPN for are:

• Driving too close to the vehicle in front

• Failing to give way at a junction (not requiring evasive action by another driver)

• Overtaking and pushing into a queue of traffic

• Being in the wrong lane and pushing into a queue on a roundabout

• Lane discipline, such as needlessly hogging the middle or outside lanes

• Inappropriate speed

• Wheel-spins, handbrake turns and other careless manoeuvres

OK thanks both, glad to hear he doesn't have to retake his test unless he gets another 3 points.

I'm a bit miffed that they didn't give him an ear bending then let him on his way suitably chastised, but I guess that's the cost of being able to question Plod, there are no decisions made on individual discretion any more.

We do have discretion, but being made up of the public, we come in all shapes and sizes with many different viewpoints too.

Not being there, none of us knows quite how poor or not the driving was.

In our force we have been told not to use the old FPN notice books any more, however I suspect that if he were to contest the issue they would simply withdraw the FPN and progress through summons.

Feels like a tough one, but as I said, we don't know how close the incident came to causing an accident or not.

Personally, I prefer to go the education route with younger drivers, but sometimes the risk / offence circumstances mean that you feel only a form of sanction will do.