New Double Glazing- am I daft or what?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3919 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Beer garden is probably the best place for this question as most of you will think I'm drunk when asking it....but I know as much about double glazing as I do about gas boilers and that's nowt!

So, here goes and please don't laugh if my ignorance is obvious....

We just replaced in the last few weeks, single glazed wooden bedroom windows with UPVC Double glazing......., in fact all the upstairs are now double glazed.

We have a conservatory on the ground floor which is double glazed too.

My previous home had DG throughout.

When I get up in the morning now I see the bedroom windows covered in condensation - On the outside -, not between the void, not on the inside pane, but on the outside like dew has settled on them.

Never had this before in my previous place, didn't happen on the single glazing, doesn't happen to the conservatory which is facing the same direction as the bedroom windows. We've not had the central heating on (yet) although I suggest it is obviously warmer inside than out.

Am I so doodle-ally to be so dumb into thinking this shouldn't be happening or is this something I should expect as the temperatures drop for Autumn and this is actually Nature working in its finest mode?

It's just odd to wake up to see condensation on windows like I did as a kid with metal framed single glazed windows in the 50's and despite having DG in the last house, we only ever saw condensation on the windows when the seal went between the glass panes. But that was on the inside of the double glazing not on the outside.

Am I having a belated vacant Friday 13th moment or is there someone who can tell me there's something amiss with these windows?

I know the car gets dew on, but that I thought was somewhat different and it's not Double glazed...Am I crazy or what?

Any help proving my sanity most gratefully received....

A1

Edited by andrew1

http://uk.saint-gobain-glass.com/trade-customers/condensation-double-glazing

If you scroll down the link above there is a heading "Condensation on the external face (1) " and it explains why this happens.

I don't have it on mine so I was equally interested in why it would.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

http://uk.saint-gobain-glass.com/trade-customers/condensation-double-glazing

If you scroll down the link above there is a heading "Condensation on the external face (1) " and it explains why this happens.

I don't have it on mine so I was equally interested in why it would.

Oh boy, not cracking up then? Thank you CitizenB this really gave me the feeling I'd been sold a pup by our builders who recommended these windows. I'd already had to have 8 windows (the glass) removed and replaced because some dim-wit in the glaziers marked the INSIDE of the glazing with numbers before sealing them up which could obviously never been cleaned off as it was inside the sealed panes. Every one of them! So, I was beginning to wonder if these were cowboy windows. Your link has just proven to the contrary so that's a relief, but I'd rather have not had this effect now to look at.

Wish I'd left them alone. The old wooden ones had character at least in this old 1851 building.....

Thank you, have to go now scratch my head to see how this can be sorted......

There's always a down side to everything isn't there?

Cuppa time, thanks, another problem solved.

A1

Oh boy, not cracking up then? Thank you CitizenB this really gave me the feeling I'd been sold a pup by our builders who recommended these windows. I'd already had to have 8 windows (the glass) removed and replaced because some dim-wit in the glaziers marked the INSIDE of the glazing with numbers before sealing them up which could obviously never been cleaned off as it was inside the sealed panes. Every one of them!

!!! Makes you wonder doesn't it !!

Very sad that you had to replace character windows in the first place :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Another thing that makes you wonder it the reductions, at the moment 50% off is being advertised by one of the companies.

What I would like to know is 50% off what?

Seeing as there is no pricelist or advertised price, (price given when they measure your house), how can you offer 50% off. They just double the price when they give you a quote - another rip off.

Another thing that makes you wonder it the reductions, at the moment 50% off is being advertised by one of the companies.

What I would like to know is 50% off what?

Seeing as there is no pricelist or advertised price, (price given when they measure your house), how can you offer 50% off. They just double the price when they give you a quote - another rip off.

I couldn't agree more Conniff, the range of prices I came across for the same window sizes during this process was quite amazing. One chap came from 'Crystal' and you'd have thought he worked in the credit industry the way he gave me a breakdown of the financials behind each and every competitor, who owned what and all the brand names.

When the quotes came in, one guy phoned me up after giving me a circa 21k quote and realising we had gone elsewhere for quotes too saying, " of course, we won't be charging you that, you can at least halve that" (your 50% conniff? LOL) We ended up with a little over £5k for the majority of the replacements - a few to go downstairs, but won't be anything like 10k.

You don't expect that kind of thing when you ask for a quote do you? - There's a right bunch of shysters out there selling this stuff and picking the right one is like a gamble on a one-armed bandit!

A1