style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3687 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey everyone,

been looking around the forums and various threads but still a little confused and hoping for some clarification.

My Brighthouse account has gone beyond a week as we're really struggling at the moment financially.

When i contact them next week i know they will demand 2 weeks payments plus their usual late fees to every item which i know we definately cannot afford.

Am i right in thinking i can tell them i only want to pay arrears from my HP items and not DLC/OS?

I'm also looking to completely remove OSC/DLC and have already written up the letter found here

which just needs sending off to head office and delivering in store but my question is,

if i dont have suitable contents cover for my home, do i have to keep DLC?

Speaking of the above,

after checking a few threads,

it seems i can claim back the OSC i have already paid for all my agreements?

If so, is there a letter template for requesting this course of action?

I've found the spreadsheet for Compound Interest Calculator but i'm unsure on how to fully use this sheet in claiming back OSC.

Thank you in advance :-)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome aboard

there is no legal remit under any rules anywhere

that state goods under an HP agreement MUST be insured.

any company can make whatever statements/demands they like in their T&c

but the bottom line is they can be challenged.

as with the PENALTY charges on loans & credit cards scenario.

I would make one spready for osc

and another for DLC.

and third for the late fees.

use THEIR int rate [APR] [cell d 15 in the spready]

enter indvidually on a new row

EVERY occurance of each on the date they charged it.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you for replying.

On the spreadsheet, I've started the date at the Date of Agreement for each item and added every week after up until I last paid, is this the correct way of adding all the OSC charges onto there? If so, I shall continue with each item.

What's my best course of action for the week coming up now? I know I need to make a payment to at least try and keep my account in order before it spirals out of control but I simply cannot afford to make two weeks payments and all the extra charges they're going to throw on top.

I am paying a visit to Citizens Advice next week to get my money in order, should I take all the information I've collected on these forums with me and see if they can help me?

I woul nt worry too much about each items ocs individually

you can if you wish

but just a weekly total for ALL osc is all that is needed to be put down.

same for dlc

same for penalty charges

three sheets

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I've done all my spreadsheets now, even though it took longer i found it easier separating each items OSC and adding the weeks from the initial Date of Agreement. Are these spreadsheets simply for when I get round to claiming back the OSC?

When my moneys sorted and I can make payment am I right in thinking I won't need to pay OSC or DLC for the week that I have missed? So if I make a payment this week, do I insist that I'm not paying OSC and DLC for last week that I missed because in their T&C's it states their covers have lapsed? Meaning I'd pay 1 week with full OSC + DLC plus a week of just the HP price?

Thanks.

You dont need to pay osc at all. No matter what they say.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Guest Ann-Marie at BrightHouse

Good Morning Accepted Walnut,

Im sorry to hear that you are experiancing financial difficulties, please could you email me (customer.relations@brigh thouse.co.uk) with the relevant details and quote the code:F0675530. - with CAG Forum in the subject line. Once sent I can respond accordingly.

To ensure that it reaches me could you update the thread with this and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Ann-Marie

Web Relations Team

Look for

Had a reply from Anne-Marie who has advised I go into the store on Saturday where the manager will put me on a payment plan to manage my account. She has also told the store that I wish for OSC to be removed from my account and they will assist me with this when I go.

Is there anything I need to mindful about or cautious of?

I'm still slightly confused about payment aswell, I've asked for clarification from Anne-Marie but I suppose it doesn't harm seeking help here too.

When I go into store, they will require payment to bring the account upto date.

This payment from my understanding will be 1 week missed payment + 1 week to bring account upto date + late payment charges.

Can I definately refuse to pay OSC & DLC on the missed weeks payment seeing as they both lapsed as stated in their T&C's?

It's just when I last missed a payment (through no fault of my own, they paid someones elses account and not mine)

they asked for payment which added upto a full 2 weeks with OSC & DLC + late payment charges.

Thanks, Ste.

so its their mistake that you are late!!

PENALTY charges are just that - a PENALTY

the FCA etc etc has clearly stated many times that PENALTY charges for being late etc etc are UNLAWFUL

refuse to pay the PENALTY charges & as the OSC is now being reclaimed that too.

as for the DLC, again, they cannot force anyone to have it.

there are no rules concerning HP agreements [which is what BH stuff is]

that state goods on HP MUST be insured.

whatever is in their T&C's

and this new scheme of including them in the cash price of the agreement

we are sure is against OFT guidelines.

dx

and they

It's my fault I'm late this time as I'm struggling financially. My example of them demanding 2 full weeks + late payments is from when I made a phone payment and they paid someone else's account and not mine. They phoned me asking to make the payment until they realised their mistake and all the fee's etc were waived.

I've asked Anne-Marie if I need to take anything with me to state I want to reclaim all the OSC on my account but have yet to receive a reply, I've a feeling they're going to fight me on it.

Thank you for your help dx, finally starting to feel I'm actually getting a hold of things here and can't believe I've been paying OSC all this time.

You need to stop worrying. You pay what you can afford. Nothing more. If they start demanding you do this or that, tell them to bugger off. YOU are in control. NOT them. As already advised, the late payment fee's, default charges, OSC are all unlawful and can all be reclaimed.

The fact they want you to go in person to the store is worryign as well. They can easily give you payment details so you can do it online or through your bank. Not take your card or bank details at the shop and then proceed to strip your account.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thanks renegade but I still worry :(

Wouldn't I need to go into store to sign amended agreements to remove OSC? I'm worrying because I don't want to lose my items or fall behind even further with payments because they're going to ask for a ridiculous amount, i can see it coming.

Am I well within my right to offer 2 weeks payment for the HP items without OSC and DLC? If i juggle my money around I can probably stretch to this amount.

Nope. They ca just cancel it and send the form out. I would be reluctant to head to the store as they can easily bully or pressure you into doing what they want. Also, if you have paid more than a third, they cant take back the items without a court order, and if they dont agree to a repayment plan YOu can afford, then tough luck to them.

You really need to stop worrying. As i said, it is very obvious you are stressing and arent sure of your rights. The rep on here obviously knows that too and has, for some reason, told you to go to the store for a 'discussion'.

Work out an I&E and see what your disposable income is. You can then offer a repayment out of that. If you have to stretch your finances to pay what they say, then DONT PAY IT. It's simple common sense.

Nope. They ca just cancel it and send the form out. I would be reluctant to head to the store as they can easily bully or pressure you into doing what they want.

This is what they will do, I'm not very confident speaking to people face to face so will inevitably cave into their demands.

Also, if you have paid more than a third, they cant take back the items without a court order, and if they dont agree to a repayment plan YOu can afford, then tough luck to them.

My long term items have had more than a third paid off I'm sure, I looked at the number of weeks I've paid and it was more than 1/3 of the agreed weeks. Theres 2 items which haven't been though.

You really need to stop worrying. As i said, it is very obvious you are stressing and arent sure of your rights. The rep on here obviously knows that too and has, for some reason, told you to go to the store for a 'discussion'.

Work out an I&E and see what your disposable income is. You can then offer a repayment out of that. If you have to stretch your finances to pay what they say, then DONT PAY IT. It's simple common sense.

Me and my partner worked this out and we've no disposable income at all which is why I'm heading to Citizens Advice to see if I can get some bills refinanced to a more suitable payment. I didn't think this was possible with Brighthouse though as they're HP, if you can't afford the payments then you have to take the items back or Brighthouse will eventually collect them if you keep missing payments?

Thanks by the way :-)

Brighthouse cannot simply come and collect them. If they come to your home without a court order for reposession of the items, then tell them to do one. If they go near a court, you will be given plenty of time to form a defence and tell the court why you missed payments. If you prove you have no disposable income then the judge could say to drop payments to £1 a week/month. Only in extreme cases will they order reposession.

• Confused 1

YOu will also need to ensure they don't try to swap your agreements to the new type which includes OSC and DLC !1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Wait a sec. If you are struggling for food in order to meet the repayments then drop the repayments NOT your food bill.

Can I ask if it was your decision to struggle for food to meet repayments or was it theirs.

I've never spoken to Brighthouse about struggling in fear they'll simply say well if you can't afford it we'll take it back, kind of stupid i know.

We've just managed to make the payment every week by either cutting down on certain things

or borrowing from friends or family that are a little more leniant to wanting the money back.

Last week though we had two choices,

pay Brighthouse what was left in the bank (not enough to cover payment anyhow)

or buy bits which we needed for the house (milk, bread, toilet roll etc) so obviously Brighthouse never got paid.

We usually set aside the bills weekly and then say ok its left such an such for shopping and get what we can afford with whats left.

Since having a baby recently though, the cost of shopping has increased with buying milk, nappies

and so on so its become more of a struggle and whilst we always make sure babys things are bought first, its lowered whats usually left for shopping.

Ok. STop doing that.

NEVER under any circumstances neglect your essential incomings and outgoings for a low priority debt.

As i said, if you have proof you cant meet the repayments, then send a letter to them with a simplified budget summary

and TELL them that you are dropping them to £1 a week for a short period.

They will try and say no, or threaten you, but under OFT guidance on debt collection they have to take your circumstances into account.

Brightouse think the rules and law dont apply to them. This is where you need to be strong and stick up for yourself and not let them walk all over you.

god

put 'em down to £5

this in NOT a priority bill

you MUST pay for other things first like rent/mortgage/util bills food.

there's nowt they can do to you.

get a spreadshett done for the reclaiming of all the OSC/DLC

and put that into them at the head office address.

dx

and they

Quick update to this.

Not long got back from Citizens Advice who have booked an appointment for the 30th to help with our finances.

I explained the Brighthouse situation and that we simply cannot afford to pay lasts + this weeks and the late fee's.

She phoned BH on our behalf and offered part payment which they flat out refused and

gave us two options:

1. Return our items or

2. Downgrade our items.

1. I don't really want to return the items, I've paid a lot towards them and do wish to keep paying for them, i'm just struggling.

2. Downgrading I'm assuming means losing everything I've paid on my current item(s) whilst also having to take out new agreements with their new "all in one" price policy.

I was then advised to go into the store to see our BH manager before I explained I'd been given advice on CAG not too because of their bullying and pressure tactics.

She agreed then to stay clear of their store until I'd been given advice at the appointment on the 30th.

She also advised not to pay them anything until our appointment either since they flat out refused any sort of part payment from myself seeing as we can't afford the full amount.

Also whilst on the phone, she asked could they at least put the account on hold until the 30th

as it means we're also going to miss another 2 weeks if they keep refusing any payment apart from the full amount to which i'm gathering

they also refused as the two above options were again presented.

By missing these payments up until the 30th though,

can BH do anything to us?

Most of our items are 1/3 paid of as explained but 3 aren't (washer, dryer and a phone)

Sorry the post is a little long winded, but thanks.

There is nothing they can do. under no circumstances allow them into your home, they have no legal right to collect against your will. If they do turn up, tell them to go away. if they refuse or keep coming back phone the police and claim harrasment and have them removed.

have done these spreadsheets yet?

dx

and they