Council Tax & Bailiffs v Head in the Sand

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks.

Just when I thought things were looking up along came this little lot.

I have finished Uni so have not been on the CT list.

My OH has been on the list and I thought had been dealing with it.

Came home from work last week and there, addressed to them was a hand delivered letter from the bailiffs.

The OH just put it away and has refused to even open it, stating they can't find it.

I have found it, read it and put it back in a similar looking envelope.( too many crime and spy books).

The letter says the amount is over £1300 and to contact the council to arrange a payment plan.

With the OH burying their head in the sand how do I proceed?

We both have other debts, all but one being non priority.

We both work but I am only part time and don't get more than min wage.

!. Can I contact the council about this ?

2. Can we drop all other repayments ( bar the mortgage) to £1 a month or are they likely to get nasty?

3. Does anyone know what the cure for Head in Sand Syndrome is? Apart from learning how to speak Ostrich

You need to contact the council to ask for help. I suspect that you can complete a form, which will allow the council to review whether you are entitled to any help with council tax. Due to the level of income, you may not have to pay the full amount. Or the council can arrange a payment plan.

What are you doing about these other debts ? They are putting pressure on your finances and if you don't tackle these you are on a slippery slope. You should both sit down and run through a full budget planner, looking at what you need to deal with. Homelessness is not very nice, particulary during the Winter !

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi folks.

Just when I thought things were looking up along came this little lot. I have finished Uni so have not been on the CT list. My OH has been on the list and I thought had been dealing with it. Came home from work last week and there, addressed to them was a hand delivered letter from the bailiffs. The OH just put it away and has refused to even open it, stating they can't find it. I have found it, read it and put it back in a similar looking envelope.( too many crime and spy books).

The letter says the amount is over £1300 and to contact the council to arrange a payment plan. With the OH burying their head in the sand how do I proceed? We both have other debts, all but one being non priority. We both work but I am only part time and don't get more than min wage.

!. Can I contact the council about this ?

2. Can we drop all other repayments ( bar the mortgage) to £1 a month or are they likely to get nasty?

3. Does anyone know what the cure for Head in Sand Syndrome is? Apart from learning how to speak Ostrich

Hi

Are you jointly liable for the council tax?

The priority council tax arrears wont go away and will need to be addressed

I know I am stating the obvious, but it is the priority, non-priority debt procedure thing really.

You might have a number of options

I note you mention a mortgage so it looks like you are a homeowner

I am just going on what you have put so far

Could you put up more information / SOA etc

May be best to get full advice on your debts, don't let things get out of hand.

Best Wishes

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi everyone.

First, I had student discount on the CT so that was OK. Have got the majority of other debts down through asking for CCAs. Awaiting reply from 2. The only one who have got the CCA is Link and we are trying to get the PPI back from the original lender, plus charges and 1 payment made in-between date of payment and the NOA.

As for the mortgage. Where do I start? We owe about £6k in arrears and have an eviction order suspended on it so that is taking the bulk of the monies available. I have thought about bankruptcy but as the link debt is a joint one it would not be much use. More so as the mortgage is not in my name and I only have two independent debts. One which is £78 total and the other for £9k with a DCA who do not have the CCA, I do have their NOA on the debt. I have been trying to manage these debts with the help, advice guidance and support of this site and so far it has proved superb. So much so that I have advised others to check the site and they have regained control of their finances.

Thought I had been put back on for the liability so would have expected to have received correspondence about the CT. Will try and talk to the council tomorrow, but still can't speak to OH as still in denial. Does anyone know how to speak Ostrich without getting head bitten off?

Maybe it will help if you can look at your options first and talk about possible solutions. Show there is a glimmer of hope and not the end of the world.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi folks.

Just wondering if the council will even talk to me due to the fact that I am not listed as liable? I know I will soon find out when I phone them but can't sleep with the worry. No probe for the OH though, happily sleeping. I don't think they realise the importance of dealing with this. I feel like I am at the side of the hole that they are still digging and I am going to have to jump in and take the spade off them. Sorry about the rant but have no one else to talk to.

The council should speak to you as an adult living at the address, where there is a council tax liability. Just give it a go and see how it goes. Explain your current circumstances and see what help can be given.

With the mortgage arrears, I think the mortgage holder should obtain some specific advice about this. How are they managing to make the increased repayments and how vulnerable are they to missing a payment, which could lead to the eviction order being started again ? There will probably be local advisors who can be contacted for advice and it may be useful to have a contact if you have problems again. e.g http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/help_with_money/mortgage_arrears/tackling_mortgage_arrears

In regard to your OH, you need to approach this in a gentle way, perhaps by getting some information from help organisations, as well as the council and introducing them to this, without forcing them to read it. Perhaps you can start to do a budget planner/review and make up a folder with every aspect of household spending as a separate tab, so you can start to look at everything in more detail. If your OH notices that you are putting in effort, perhaps it may encourage them.

If you look into the issue of debt and mental health, you will see much information online that these are often linked. People handle debt situations very differently and this needs to be considered.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hello folks.

Just been to the council offices to try and find out what is going on. I first asked why I wasn't on the liability order and they said it was because I had been a student for part of this year so would only be added for next year. Although they did say the rebate had been stopped. I asked them for the Liability Order and a breakdown of charges they seemed puzzled and asked if I meant a Statement of accounts. I said for starters that would do but I wanted a copy of the LO issued by the courts. He again seemed puzzled.Long story shortened. No further action on their part for at least another 14 days.

The OH insists that they have been paying a certain amount (£100+) per month by DD, after being told this was the only way they could pay. I am waiting for the OH to get bank statements sorted so we can reconcile the statement when it turns up. Oh for the good old days when we used to hide behind the couch when the rent man used to turn up and they would shout through the letter box " That will be double next time"

The plot thickens.

Just sorted through todays mail and waiting there was a CT letter. It states that a LO was issued on 22/8/13 for £300 and a bailiff might call etc etc. I checked the letter pushed through the door last week dated 21/8/13. More than confused I rang the council who this time advised me that the visit was for two other LOs that had been sought from last Nov for £700 and June £600. Have asked for more time to sort out dates and if any time might have been when we had no liability for CT as both full time students. Think I will put my head in bucket of cold water and shout "WIBBLE"

• 2 weeks later...

Latest development on this. Have been trying to get dates sorted out for these Los and have had to speak to four different people at the CT recovery section. The first two gave me bits of the story which the OH can't reconcile with payments. The third was very arrogant and condescending and when I asked about a face to face meeting just said the hours that they were open and to come to the offices.

I duly went down today to be informed that they weren't in that building but if I phoned they might arrange a meeting. When I phoned the office I got through to number 4 person who stated they wouldn't talk to me as I was not on the Liability Order, due to Data Protection. He said the other three shouldn't have spoken to me and point blank refused to even confirm that there was a liability order.

At least the OH has stopped digging the hole and is slowly removing head from sand. Mind you I am still trying to put mine back on shoulders after having bitten off for confronting them.

Ask the council again for copies of the actual Liability Orders. This must make them run !!

Given the level of other debts the most IMPORTANT point to remember is that you must NOT allow a bailiff into the property. If you do the debt will increase substantially and you may well be forced to make payment to the council instead of ensuring the you have a roof over your heads.

There is NO LAW at all that states that you have to allow a bailiff into your home.

However, if the bailiff cannot gain entry he will instead levy upon a car outside. Does your OH own a vehicle? If so, it should not be parked near the house.

Make sure that a letter is written to the bailiff co and copied to the council to outline a sensible payment arrangement.

Call the council and ask them to confirm the amount of any bailiff fees that have been added to the account.

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks. I know it has been a long time but I thought I should let people know what has happened. mainly due to often wondering about other peoples threads and it also being rude not to keep helpers informed.

I wrote to the council asking about the L.O.s and it appeared that due to our changing circumstances, i.e. one still being in full time education and the other not things got confused in their office. Plus my place of education gave the council the wrong date for my course ending. Long story short. We arranged a payment plan which has been kept to. The council changed the bills which greatly reduced the arrears and they apologised for the stress. The OH has now got head out of the sand and even looks on this site for help and info regarding other matters for other people. Yet again " Thank you Caggers"

That sounds like a good result Horsen. I get the feeling that you and OH are feeling better for facing this and dealing with it.

Well done and happy new year to you both. :-)

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.