High Street Bank DPA Breach - information sent to me that isn't mine?

Haven't a clue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3964 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Hope you can help, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, or if this thread is in the wrong place.

I've received 2 e-mails over the past 3 weeks from a high street bank relating to a complaint, which isn't mine. The information includes bank details, the details/ history of the complaint and named contacts within the bank who have been dealing with it - including the chief exex.

The blurb on the bottom of the e-mail demands I must send this back and not forward it on etc. I won't be disclosing the bank etc publicly, but I'm currently in dispute with the same bank and have issued the chief exec emails of details of my complaint some months prior to receiving this.

What are my options? I don't want compensation etc for the above breach, but are concerned the bank cannot handle data securely? Should I contact the bank, raising a formal complaint? The ICO? FOS? OFT? The original complainant? I don't want to let this drop, but not sure where I should go? Any ideas and in what order I should make the complaints?

Sorry for rambling, I'm still fairly new to this. :?:Thanks for your help.

A complaint to the data controller of the bank concerned is the first thing to do, stating that you intend to report the breaches to the ICO.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I think you should raise a formal complaint with the bank and also tell them that you have forwarded a complaint to ICO as well. Data protection breaches are not dealt with by fos or the OFT.

You could also let the other complainant know that their security has been breached and that they also might like to complain to both the bank and the ICO.

Thanks for the prompt responses.

I'll send the complaint off to the Bank Data Controller later today and confirm to them i've complained to the ICO.

Re letting the original complainant know, i'm edgy that this will somehow drop me in it?! Although I've no intention of forwarding on the actual information released to me, would letting a 3rd party know I've received their information place me in breach of the act??

Sorry if i'm being naive here; i'm just looking to protect myself if the bank start playing nasty?

It's up to you. Letting them know there is a breach of the DPA wont "drop you in it".

In fact they may well be interested to know that their bank are being so careless with personal data.

Your call of course...whatever you feel comfortable with.

A complaint to the bank and the ICO are a must though