Help Neighbour keeps opening my post

lindyhop
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

this problem has been outstanding for many years but this year has got worse.

i live in a converted property of 2 flat, i therefore share a letterbox with my neighbour. over this past year the reoccurance of my neighbour opening my mail has increased. this time it is twice within one week. this is causing me some embarassment.

i have tried to ignore it, but in all honesty i am now fed up to the back teeth especically as it has been brought to my attention via senders that some of my post have gone missing! i think these are the ones my neighbour couldnt be bothered to give me back! i have never in all the years i have lived in the house opened any post but my own. my neighbour will or will not leave an accompanying note of apology. there are no literary issues, surely this has to be a form of harassment.

over the years there have been other issues, and the only other time i got so fed up i wrote a letter to the neighbour about it was to do with tresspass and the repeated removal of my washing from my washing line, my washing left on the back stairs damp with her cats using my washing as a bed to lay on! anyway that letter worked!

i now need help with how to word the letter about the opening of my mail. is it a criminal offence? what are the consequences? am i able to report the matter to the police? i just want my complaint taken seriously by my neighbour and for the incidents of the letter tampering to stop.

any help that anyone can provide is appreciated.

Thanks

It's illegal to open someone else's mail - even if it's sent to the wrong address, let alone the right one.

Mike

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!

Yes interfering with the mail addressed to another person can be considered a criminal offence. You could block up the letterbox and instal a separate mail box for each address to an outside wall. This would hopefully remove the problem. I would not want to have my mail opened by someone in another property.

Interference with mail - Postal Services Act 2000, sections 83 and 84

The Postal Services Act 2000 sections 83 and 84, see Stones 8.24243 and 8.24244, create offences of interfering with mail. Section 83 is aimed at persons engaged in the business of a postal operator and creates an either way offence. Section 84 covers any person and creates a summary only imprisonable offence. Both sections cover intentional delaying or opening of a postal packet and intentional opening of a mail bag.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

ALL unsolicited PMs and E-mails should be posted up - Not all on CAG are who they appear to be

My views are my own. If in doubt, seek professional advice. If I can help though, I will. CAG helped me!!