Bank of Ireland + other creditors

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3950 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

First of all, many thanks to all the people that created CAG and the huge work that I can imagine has been put into it.

My name is Carlos and I'm from Spain. I lived in the Republic of Ireland (Dublin) between 2005 and 2006. I borrowed a total of 30.000 euros from Bank of Ireland + Tesco and credit cards. That was for an investment opportunity I was offered at that time, which unfortunately went really bad and I ended up without my investment capital. I stayed in Ireland for another few months while I tried to explain this to my creditors. I tried to extend my initial 5 years repayment plan to a 15 years repayment plan, but they didn't accept it. My last payment to all creditors was done in the beginning of 2006.

I found a job in the UK in the same year and after moving over here, I never heard from them since. My personal situation and finances have not improved in a way that I could afford to repay this debt.

I would like to know if they could have taken me to court in Ireland while I was absent and if so, if they can get an european cross-border order from an Irish court to enforce this debt over here, if they ever find me.

I have checked a few threads, including this one:

Republic-of-Ireland-debt-being-chased-in-UK

Is my debt statute barred already? Even in the event they have an order from an Irish court?

I saw on the internet that debts in Ireland are statute barred after 6 years too, unless they have a court order, which would then allow them to chase the debt for a period of 12 years.

"If your creditor gets a judgment, then, in general, they have 12 years in which to enforce that judgment."

Anybody could pls shed some light? I'm really worried that find me here and ruin my life. I borrowed this money to invest, in good faith, not to spend on myself recklessly.

Thank you all in advance, sorry for the long post.

Carlos

its 6yrs

your debts are gone

forget them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hey Dx, thank you for the advice.

What worries me is that according to the Irish law, if they took me to court over there, they can enforce my debt for up to 12 years. Unfortunately I'm new here and I cannot post links yet. But I found an Irish website that says that. Would an UK Court accept this argument, if that was the case?

If you type that on Google -> "If your creditor gets a judgment, then, in general, they have 12 years in which to enforce that judgment."

You will find the website in question, it is called citizensinformation ie

Thank you,

Carlos.

are you ever returning to the uk?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

they cant get a ccj in your absence

that would make it null and void

dx

and they

Hey Dx, I am living in the UK since I left Ireland. They never contacted me here. But I'm worried they might do.

Even in Ireland, they cannot get a CCJ in my absence?

Hey Dx, I am living in the UK since I left Ireland. They never contacted me here. But I'm worried they might do.

Even in Ireland, they cannot get a CCJ in my absence?

Normally court claims can only be made if the debtor is resident in the country at the time the claim is made. But it is possible to make a special application in most countries where the debtor is absent. But this requires the debtor to be traced and served with court papers at their foreign address. But of course if they did not know that you have left Ireland, they could have gone to a court in ignorance of you leaving the country, with the court claim having gone to your last known Irish address. So unless you made enquiries you would not know for sure.

Also bankruptcy is possible in most countries in a persons absence.

Can I suggest that you just leave it, if nobody is contacting you. Once you start making any enquiries, the current debt owners may find out and then they will be on to you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hey unclebulgaria, I'll follow your advice. It was a total of 4 creditors and absolutely none of them have contacted me in all these years. Of course since I started living here in the UK I had to open a bank account to live a normal life, I also got a mobile phone contract and a land line. I'm on the electoral roll too. Maybe I'm just being lucky or they never bothered with it because the amount owned is low, compared to tidal wave of debts that has, unfortunately, hit Ireland in the past few years. I'll leave it as it is.

Thank you very much all!