Being chased by hfo regarding an old barclaycard debt.

daffy67
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

i wonder if you could give me some advice.

I have recently received a letter chasing me for money from buchanan clark & wells

on behalf of a barclaycard debt sold to hfo capital ltd.

The first letter i got was asking if i was the person named and my old address.

I ignored that letter then they sent me another letter dated 11/04/2013 which they stated was a formal demand.

I ignored that letter as well.

The next letter i got was dated 15/05/2013 and was a settlement offer

which they said they would accept roughly half the original debt they were chasing.

I ignored that letter as well.

Today i got another letter stating it was from UMS stating that they were going to come and visit my property.

They said that the BCW group had instructed them to visit me.

I noticed from this last letter that although it is supposed to come from a different company the paper

it is printed on is the same details rtc that have been on the other letters.

I decided to call barclaycard directly to try and find out what all the details are on the debt

and this is the information they gave me.

I took out the credit card on 02/08/2000.

The last payment i ever made on it was on 29/12/2004.

The debt was sold to HFO capital ltd on 26/07/2007.

From reading other things on the forum it looks like this should be statue barred by now

if you go by the date i last made a payment or will be in a weeks time

if you go by the date that HFO capital ltd bought the debt.

Am i correct in thinking this and if i am correct what do i need to do to get them

to stop sending me letters or contacting me again.

I would be greatful for any advice you copuld give me.

Welcome to CAG, daffy.

Yes, UMS is part of BCW. Hollow, idle threats – if they choose to visit, just tell them to sling their hook.

The SB reference date is the point at which you last failed to make a due payment (assuming there have been no other payments since), so this would be c February 2005, meaning the account became SB in February 2011.

The date at which HFO acquired it is irrelevant, as is any alleged default date HFO may quote. Also beware of alleged ‘phantom’ payments in the interim.

Does anything show on your credit report?

If you are absolutely sure that the account is therefore SB, send the SB letter from the templates library.

HFO, still in deep do-do with the OFT, are scraping the barrel with the remnants of their dabbling in the debt purchase market. They failed to act on many accounts for many years – tough t***ies for them.

If they fail to close their book on this after receiving your SB letter, then we can take things further.

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Thanks for all your replies,

i havent made a single payment to them since the one i made in december 2004

as early the next year i had to stop working due to ill health

and had to go on benefits so never had the money to pay them anything.

So it is deffo statue barred then for a couple of years at least,

cant beleive they have only just started sending me these letters this year.

Will give me great pleasure in sending them the statue barred letter

but will have to see if they do leave me alone now.

I checked on noddle and i cant see anything showing up on there.

Will keep you informed if anything else happens.

Thanks for all your help

Remember that until you tell them it is SB and that you won’t be making any payment, they are within their rights to ask for payment.

In the past with SB debts, they will have claimed when challenged to have previously sent out Notices of Assignment and reminders, saying that this stops the SB clock. Of course, this is a huge fib of the kind that got them into trouble with the OFT in the first place. Get the SB letter sent off asap, recorded if you can.

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Send it to BCW, but also a copy to HFO. HFO are almost inert as a company, but it doubles the strength of your complaint if the letter is not acted upon.

Irish Companies House has:

Registered address —

22 Bridge Street

Ringsend

Dublin 4

Ireland

Trading address (never seen this before) —

COLIEMORE HOUSE

COLIEMORE ROAD

DALKEY

CO DUBLIN

You might be better off sending it to HFO Capital Ltd c/o Roxburghe at —

Roxburghe House

Lavender Park Road

West Byfleet

Surrey

KT14 6NA

Interestingly, the net value of the company is minus €62m+, and an Audit Qualification report states that there is uncertainty concerning the company being an ongoing concern. Ooops.

Interestingly, the net value of the company is minus €62m+, and an Audit Qualification report states that there is uncertainty concerning the company being an ongoing concern. Ooops.

I do hope BCW have had the sense to get paid up front for their work.

I dont have an address for HFO capital ltd as i havent had any letters from them directly. Where can i fin out the address to a copy of the letter to them?

So they haven’t even clearly identified who supposedly owns the debt? Fail.

Indeed it is. Probably where the accountant lives. There’s lots of money in making people’s lives miserable.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought i would give you an update.

Today i got a letter from the bcw group stating they are closing the file as it's statute barred

and they wont be writing to me anymore.

There was one strange thing on the letter though in that they stated they had contacted hfo capita

l and they had informed them the date it had defaulted was 01/05/2007

which i found very strange as the last payment i had made was december 2004.

I wonder where they het their dates from,

i thought it would of defaulted about 2 months after my last payment.

I am glad they will finally stop sending me letters but i wonder if hfo capital will find another company

to write to me and start it all over again. I would like to say thank you to everyone that helped me