style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3956 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Would appreciate some help if anyone can oblige.

We (my partner and myself) have applied to rent another property and all checks and references went through ok, BUT on the reference from our present landlord, which was all satisfactory i.e rent always paid on time, house kept in good order, etc etc, but at the very end of his reference he wrote "despite *********'s criminal record I've always found them to be a very nice person and good tenant".

Now, unfortunately i can't deny having a criminal record, (its not something I'm proud of and its not something i ever intend doing again), but the new landlord had agreed to rent us his property subject to all the references checking out, (which as i said we passed all ok), but now he's saying he's changed his mind due to my criminal record. So the questions i have are,

A) Can he just change his mind after agreeing to go ahead and letting us pay for the referencing fees?

B) Is my current landlord allowed to mention MY criminal record to a third party?

C) Have i failed the reference checks?

Because the letting agent hasn't said i have, they just said the landlord has changed his mind, due to my criminal record, that i was never asked about to start with, and as far as im aware im under no obligation to mention unless of course i was asked outright "Do you have a criminal record?"

Which i would of genuinely answered honestly, and tried to stress that it is in my past and not something that will happen again.

Many Thanks.

Your prospective LL can change his mind for any reason, subject to anything covered in the equal rights legislation.

If your previous LL knew of your history and gained that info legally then he can pass it on; although he must have known it may compromise you reference, so not a nice thing to do.

If you paid any monies up front then you are entitled to those back, less reference fees of course.