What happen's when a prepay meter is fitted?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3986 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Got to say what an amazing resource this is! I'm new here but hope to be able to add something to the group :)

Any advice anyone can give on the legality of this situation would be gratefully received.

My friends son recently moved into a flat - it is the first time he has had to pay bills and suffers from a disability which means he can't communicate using the phone. He is also agoraphobic.

British Gas obtained a Warrant of Execution for a debt incurred by a previous tenant, despite my friends son having written to inform them of his presence in the flat, the date he took up residence, and requesting the option to pay by Direct Debit. British Gas have ignored this letter (he sent it Special Delivery so they definitely received it) instead they have sent a letter addressed to ' the occupier' and informed him that they are coming to fit a pre-paument meter next week.

His concerns are firstly that they will try and make him pay back a debt that isn't his by setting the rate on the meter to include it's repayment. Secondly that he will not be able to keep the meter topped up because of his agoraphobia.

Can anyone tell me what the legal position is on this, regarding the warrant and the rights that BG has to enforce it if the debt is someone else's? How can we stop them from doing it and how is best to contact them in writing - other than the address given on their letters which they seem to ignore?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

SD x

He could apply to have another company take over the supply at this address. He is not obliged to stick with BG. If he is not the one in debt with BG I cant see any problems with another company taking over.

To be honest when a utility company obtains a right of entry warrant

I am unsure if it against the name of the tenant, or is against the actual property address

I will do some digging

Thank you both so much for your help I would be grateful if you can find anything out Postggj as I have no idea where to start to look about this.

Seanamarts does he not have to register with BG first before he changes, as they seem to be the people who supplied the last tenant? Also is there anyway he can apply for an account online? He and I have looked but don't seem to be able to find anything other than provision for existing customers to switch or register for an online account. If you are unable to register on the phone it seems you are in a bit of a bind. Do none of these companies make concessions for people with disabilities?

One more question I have is that if we can't stop this by Wed - who decides the rate set on the Pre-payment meter?

Many thanks again for you advice

Denise x

You do, unfortunately have to let BG know that you are the resident of the property, but this dosnt stop you from contacting another provider.

I have just moved myself and the house was with BG, I let them know via their website that I had taken over the property. It really would help if some one called BG and told them the situation.

However if they do place him on a prepayment meter if he applies to some one like EDF they will change it back within a month of them taking over and free of charge. They will do everything for you, just contact someone like EDF and tell them you have moved into a property and you want them to take it over.

Is there anyone who can speak on his behalf, it really does help to do this via a phone call. That includes getting in touch with BG to stop this change over with the meters.

make sure you have the reading from when he took over the property

phone bg

get him to give his authority for you to deal.

give them the reading

and tell them the story

he will not be liable for the previous use

and they will put a stop to the meter install.

rarely do notices of meter installation to 'the occupier' actually take place

its just a method to frighten the new tenent to get intoucch

clearly state and make SURe they record the fact that he is vunerable on their system.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Which means they must send you notice they've registered his vulnerability in writing. I was assured by BG my vulnerability has been recorded several times but it wasn't till after things had been to court and a few things came out that I was officially granted vulnerable status in writing. In my experience assurances over the phone mean nothing from BG.

Thanks everyone! I passed on your responses to him. Unfortunately he wants to deal with this by letter so is going to try emailing them - this is the only way he can give permission for someone to speak on his behalf, as he really cannot use a phone at all.

He said if we can't sort it by the date of them coming he is going to print off the letter he sent informing them he had moved into the property as well as his proof of them receiving the letter, and any emails and show them to the engineer if/when he comes to change the meter. At least this way he has proof he has let them know - which judging by your experience of them SWLABR9 is a wise thing to do :x! Thanks for the heads up!) Hopefully this will be proof enough so they won't try and recover any of the previous persons debt via his meter. I presume it is the engineer who sets the rate - is this true?

I think when it is all sorted he is hoping to go with the Co-op, has anyone any experience of them? And any experience of contacting BG by email - how efficient is this part of their system?

Thanks again, hope you are all having a nice weekend.

Denise x

Hi

Contact British Gas and ask to get placed on the Priority Service Register.

Also your proof that you are the new tenant is your Tenancy Agreement which will be signed and dated.

Also is the Landlord aware of this Warrant of Execution from British Gas as its there property I would also get them to contact British Gas as well.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi

I posted in a recent thread about my friend's son who is facing having a pre- pay meter fitted by British Gas tomorrow. This is for the debt of a previous tenant.

Can anyone tell me what will happen once we let them in. Do they leave a key - or will he have to apply for one from BG?

He has contacted BG 5 times now by letter and email to sort this out, but no-one has answered him. He is disabled and can't use the phone, even to give permission for me to speak on his behalf. Now he is worried sick about what will happen and that they won't leave a key. So he won't have any gas, Can they leave a disabled person without gas? I though surely this was illegal.

Thanks

Denise

2 threads on the same issue merged. Best to stay to one thread per subject that way advisors have all the information in one place.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D