Council Tax - Dundee City Council

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3986 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Looking for a bit of advice

Came back from family holiday on Friday to find a charge for payment of money from a Sheriff Officer for Council Tax owed to Dundee City Council.

The council tax owed is from the period 2004/05 - 2006/07. I will admit that I owe it but back then I was living in 2 Student Flats and then renting a friends house. I had just ended my uni course early and got a minimum wage job. Yet the council tax on a 5 bedroomed flat was way more than I could afford and the same on the student flat I moved into secondly, so I just left it as I couldn't afford the rent and the council tax. Very naive to not even think that I might have been entitled to any kind of help.

Anyway, according to this letter there were 5 warrants issued ranging from 09/09/05 - 6/02/07.

Since moving to Glasgow back in 2006 I have never heard a thing from Dundee City Council until a letter about the middle of May this year. Again I didn't really read it properly so ignored only for this letter to be put through the door.

I phoned them up and they will only talk to me about coming to an arrangement if I pay the £76 sheriff officer expenses first. I have told them I don't get paid again until start of July so they have put a hold on it.

What I am wondering is, can council tax debt become statute barred? Also, can they make me pay the £76 before coming to an agreement as I can't really afford to pay that off my wage, then I worry they wil say I paid that ok so I can afford that amount every month

The 5 year SB rule does not apply to Stautory Debt such Council Tax, Summary Warrant as is the case here can be enforced for 20 years. The game plan in this case is to offer them the amount that they could obtain through Arrestment of Wages, if you call them they will try and obtain a higher amount. You should also be aware that they can arrest your bank account, the first £315.00 is ring fenced, however they could take any sum above this figure.

If you provide you net earnings I will let you know how much they can take from your income.

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me - my net monthly income is on average about £1300 - but once I pay rent, council tax, gas + electricity, transport to work, loan payment, csa and catalogue goods I am left with about £30-40 off my wage.

We end up living off tax credits and child benefit which my wife gets weekly.

So you can kind of see how I can't really afford to give them any more than that. The loan was to be able to secure deposit on private let flat I am in and catalogue goods were essentials like kids beds and tumble dryer as house gets really bad with damp.

I read about a time to pay order, is that something I should try?

Also, they have for some reason waited 6 years to chase me up for this so I think they would have a bit of a cheek to then say it has to be paid within a year or 2 years as they can't be that deseprate for the money so at least if I offer to pay something to get it paid off in 4-5 years that's a start?

your other debts need to goto the back of the pile

esp catalogue & credit cards & mobile phones

£1PCM at MOST

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have made a quick call and the level of arrestment is £198.00 based on a monthly income of £1300.00. The only way to stop a wages arrestment, reduce the payments and extend the repayment period is to enter into a Debt Arrangement Scheme. This would give you up to ten years to repay your debt at an affordable rate.

Sorry as I can understand that this in not what you wanted to hear.

I take it that Councils stick to the amount that can be arrested and don't negotiate?

They have said they won't arrest my wages as long as I phone first thing on the 5th and pay the sheriff officer fee, then they will discuss an arrangement with me.

Thanks for your help though, I appreciate it. I might have to look at a debt plan if they aren't prepared to budge from that amount of money

Most councils that I have dealt with look at the wages arrestment scale as a starting point.

IF you need to reschedule your debt never confuse Debt Arrangement with Debt Management.

Keep us updated.

Hi,

What is the total amount due ? ( roughly )

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert