What are these birds up to?

jackieandwayne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This morning out with the dog, I was admiring 4 new cygnets with the parents from a safe distance. All lovely and grey and fluffy still, just pecking about. Bit of an exposed place, but there you go.

Then comes Bernard, this buzzard that's taken a liking to me. I could see what he meant to do, he was aiming straight for the cygnets, and I nearly had a panic attack for them.

But wait, straight in from either side of Bernard came two huge crows, and they knocked him straight off course, then came a seagull, a massive one, and he also joined in. They chased Bernard well away making a terrible noise about it. All the cygnets were safe and mum and dad were hissing and flapping.

So, what is gong on? I know Bernard was going to take at least one of those cygnets, but why would the other birds help to protect them?

I wish I had my camera this morning, slate grey sky, two huge white swans and four grey cygnets against it, then Bernard flying in like that, wings spread out with those big circles things on his wings (go on, tell me he's not a buzzard!), and the two massive black crows flying in from either side, with a giant white seagull dead ahead and joining in - what a photo opportunity!

Can any bird lovers tell me what is going on here? Cheers!

Just nature doing nature-y things. Same as some humans protect other humans ( or animals) they dont know and have never met before. In animals though, some species have a natural instinct whereby if they sense danger, they protect each other.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Well, it was quite stunning to see this. I know now why the twitchers do what they do!

I feed the crows and jackdaws every morning with peanuts in the shells, there is always a jackdaw waiting for me as I enter the woods. By the time I've reached the regular place, there's at least a dozen of them all clamouring for their nuts! Tomorrow morning, I'll thank them for their help, but tell them they need to stay round the other side of the park with the swans for the next few weeks!

I hope they stay safe, but I think the parents are first timers, and haven't realised they are far too exposed where they are. Lets hope they get to keep them.