dodgy second hand car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

bought a car from a local garage it had been advertised on their website howver when I asked if I could pay by credit card I was told no as it wasnt through the garage it was the owners own car the invoices etc give his private address but the v5 shows the previous registered owner as the garage and it was insured via the garage. As it was an mgtf we specifically asked if the head gasket had been done as this is a known fault. I said I could just about manage to get the cash as full payment and checked that there were no problems explaining I had a commute to work from wigan to preston daily.I purchased the car on*2/5/2013*As soon as getting it home the alarm continually went off and I returned to the garage and was told it was the way I was turning the key and to keep practising. The immobiliser then kicked in and the car wouldnt start at all. I contacted them they came and took it and I asked for service history old mots etc but got none with him saying I'm sure we have some at home but weve just moved so can't find anything. The whole key sytem needed replacing and I picked it back up on*7/5/2013.On the 8th I managed to drive to warrington but on the way back the battery light went on and the car was dead again I contacted them again and it was the alternator which they repaired.9/5/2013*I picked the car up again and managed to get to work for 5 days. On the 19th I went up to windermere as I was running the marathon and on the way back the car broke down on the reebok roundabout as the slip road exits the m61. A pipe had burst off the radiator so there was some pressure built up in the system to cause that initially the recovery man said it was the head gasket. The pipe was resited and the next day I travelled to work breaking down on my way to work on the m61 and again was brought back by the recovery people who said it was the head gasket. A friend looked at it and said they thought it was an airlock which can happen when air gets in the system and bled the system. The next day*22/5/2013**got to work but on the return journey the heating indicator was going up again so I pulled over and was again brought back off the m61 at midnight following my late shift at work having spent an hour and a half on the hard shoulder. The system was bled again on*23/5/2013but before using it again I asked the local garage to have a quick look over before using it and they said there is something seriously wrong with the cylinder head. I text the man to tell him and he rang and my partner answered the phone and said to him to take the car back and give me my money back and he said thats not going to happen. He then said he would have a look at it so it went back to the garage they still said it was an air lock and would try to sort it. As itwas bank holiday I left it with them on the 29 I was told it was the head gasket 600 plus vat and he would take it to be done and would pay half to which i agreed(despite the head gasket supposedly having been done we suspect it hadnt as there was radweld in the water system).What are my rights as this car was obviously not fit for purpose?Julie WilliamsonToday*4/6/2013*I still have no car and apparently it needs a new cylinder head for £260

He now says the unrepairable head gasket that needed a new cylinder head has been repaired and am I going to pay the half that I agreed or he'll seek legal advice and because I'd let him know I'd found somebody online who he had tried to sell a car to without service history old mots etc as it was his bosses car and had all been lost in a house move and this person checked the hpi and found the mileage had been clocked hes going to sue for slander as well surely its not slander if its fact? I've checked my cars mots online and it doesnt look like this has been done to this car. How can an unrepairable head gasket that needed a new cylinder head be repaired I can't decide if he had just tried to get more money from me or if hes just trying to give it back to me with a dodgy repair what shall I do as I did agree to the initial pay half for repairs it was when he added the extra 260 for new cylinder head that I said no to