Validation Characters

snowdragon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4040 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, I have just got my car tax reminder come and wanted to know about the Validation Character.

It says Q, any idea what it means please

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Vehicles are assigned "Q" prefix registration numbers to draw attention to the fact that their origins or age are uncertain. "Q" numbers are therefore non-transferable and must remain with the vehicle unless documentary evidence which confirms its origins / age comes to light.

In this case, the evidence should be sent to your nearest VRO who may then assign a replacement age-related number to the vehicle.

Its nothing to do with the Registration Number, it's part of the D.V.L.A.'s anti-fraud system to make forgery more difficult. It's a random character, generated when the document is printed, and is stored in the database against that document.

DVLA will ask you for the validation character for all queries relating to a particular document. If the character you provide doesn't match what they have logged against that document, they know the document is a forgery.

If someone tries to clone your car registration number, for example, you can confirm it's actually yours, by giving the D.V.L.A. the validation character on your V5. A criminal can't, because they don't have your V5

oh right thank you, never noticed it before but this is only second time I have had to tax it as had car end of last year and did it for 6 months, I know it costs more to do it that way but hey ho!

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019