Landlord wants to charge me for damage caused by neighbours

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved out of a property a month ago and I have been in discussion with my former agent about some damage in the back garden which was caused by my neighbours (there is communal access). I heard today that my landlord is attempting to charge me for this damage through the deposit - is that allowable? I have verbal confirmations from both neighbours as to what they did and could ask for written statements. The damage is evident from the inventory and he now wants to charge me £350 more than the deposit I paid.

The agent is being as helpful as possible and it is likely it will go through the Deposit Protection Dispute Service but I am at a loss to know what else to do and whether it is even possible that he can do this.

Thanks for any thoughts.

This not as straight forward as it might appear. You should get the written statements from your ex-neighbour as soon as possible in case they change their mind.

The problem might come if the landlord says that you had a duty of care while living there so the damage is up to you.