Fixed term contract. Notice period?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently on a Fixed term contract which expires on 25/4/2013. I have had no indication as to if it is going to be extended or if I am to finish on this date. I have been working for the company since September 2012. As I understand it I am entitled to a weeks notice if they do not intend to renew.

This is impossible as it is now 6 days away. What is my position with regards to this?

radical suggestion, have you asked the employer?

If it expires, they don;t need to give notice. It expires unless renewed.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Radical answer: Of course I have but have been unable to get a straight answer from them.

I got this from the Direct gov website:

"

Ending a fixed-term contract

If you are on a fixed-term contract, generally speaking, no notice of the contract reaching its end date will need to be given by your employer. However, failing to renew a fixed-term contract is considered to be a dismissal. You have the right:

• not to be unfairly dismissed (after one year’s service)
  • to a written statement of reasons for the dismissal (after one year’s service)
  • to statutory redundancy payments (after two years' service)
  • to a minimum notice period of your contract ending before the agreed end date, task or event

The minimum notice period you are entitled to is:

• after one month’s continuous service, but less than two years: one week’s notice"

Send them a letter - not an email, not a text, a letter - asking if the contract is being extended and if not, the reasons for the dismissal.

Failing that you have to gamble on whether to turn up or not.

the minimum notice period does not apply, as they are not ending your contract early.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

personally i'd sit tight and turn up for work after it ends and see if they say "what are you still doing here" asking may prompt them to say goodbye and if my memory serves me well employing you past the end date makes you employed but there are many little nuances around that.

It's up to you which way you go but do it expecting to be finished on that date so your hopes are not raised, with your service there is little bar claiming a weeks pay you could do as they could make the role redundant and you have no redress (less than 2 years) also what you pasted may be out of date in relation to needing two years for unfair dismissal