can they do this? (Letter) - holding meeting without giving me the option to bring a rep

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4034 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got this letter recorded in the post from my employer (I haven't been there long, but am no longer in my probation period)

I did have a meeting where they brought up the fact that i was rude to a customer and another where I left a security door open, and also where my standards of cleanliness haven't been up to scratch

Should this meeting not have been a disciplinary where I could have bOUight a rep?

This seems like the threat to me

Is it a written warning?

I have had 1 verbal warning so far since starting in Jan.

I would like to thank you for meeting with us on 11th April.

To confirm, we discussed your conduct during the incident in Reception on 7th April and various other smaller issues.

By your own admission; you have some personal issues which are affecting your work but are seeking help to resolve these. We would like to offer our full support in this.

We have put various initiatives in place to make your job simpler and clarified all your tasks via the job role sheet and daily tasks list. We hope this helps you to carry out your tasks more effectively.

We also discussed the importance of health and safety, and hygiene in our industry. You declined to undertake the further training that was offered, due to your college course in x that demands a lot of your free time.

I would like to formally meet again on 27th May 2013 at 4pm. Between now and then, I fully expect to see an improvement in attitude and work standards.

Yours sincerely

To me that reads like a record of an informal counselling meeting which is often the step before the formal procedure. It doesn't read like a warning.

They have been very careful to document that additional training was offered and refused; are you sure you don't want to rethink that? As I think it will come back to bite you.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Where they mention the next meeting in May, that would most likely be an official performance review, I would definitely arrange to be accompanied to that one as it has the possibility of turning into a disciplinary.

Where they mention the next meeting in May, that would most likely be an official performance review, I would definitely arrange to be accompanied to that one as it has the possibility of turning into a disciplinary.

You have no right to be accompanied at a performance review. I think it is more to be prepared to stay "hold on a mo" if it *does* look like it is going to be a disciplinary, and ask to reconvene with a representative. Or, let them do it incorrectly and then appeal against it; personal choice!

Hopefully OP can make the improvements asked and it won't come to that, however.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

You have no right to be accompanied at a performance review. I think it is more to be prepared to stay "hold on a mo" if it *does* look like it is going to be a disciplinary, and ask to reconvene with a representative. Or, let them do it incorrectly and then appeal against it; personal choice!

Hopefully OP can make the improvements asked and it won't come to that, however.

Emm is of course correct, thanks for picking up the error in my quick reply, if your employer mention disciplinary actions then call a halt to proceedings.

half right each Leon, you're right to caution to watch next meeting closely! Got there between us.

THANKS

So, it would be wrong for them to turn a performance review into a disciplinary? At that point should I say, hang on, you need to write to me again to request my attendance at a disciplinary and I would have a right to bring a rep to that?

I know i've worked there less than 12 months so probably quite easy for them to sack me, yes?

• 2 weeks later...

OK so have had 2 informal meetings with my manager where she has pulled me up over poor work standards and negative attitude. She then phones me today to say that management vs employee relations have broken down to such a point that there is no coming back from it and therefore she is wanting to hold a disciplinary hearing on friday where i am welcome to bring a rep.

I know i will have a right to appeal, but can they sack me in this meeting with immediate effect

FYI i am on contract for 1 weeks notice and ive been there for 7 ish months.

OK so have had 2 informal meetings with my manager where she has pulled me up over poor work standards and negative attitude. She then phones me today to say that management vs employee relations have broken down to such a point that there is no coming back from it and therefore she is wanting to hold a disciplinary hearing on friday where i am welcome to bring a rep.

I know i will have a right to appeal, but can they sack me in this meeting with immediate effect

FYI i am on contract for 1 weeks notice and ive been there for 7 ish months.

Unfortunately yes, but they must pay you in lieu of notice and for any accrued holiday pay.