style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4065 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ok can anyone see likely avenues ive missed

we are busy swapping the front room and back room over, so sky, tv, nas, xbox etc all moving backwards

the satellite connection is staying in the living room and the router is also staying there to keep line to master socket short

the nas with all the films on is also staying there

the satelite input is going on an extension cable through the walls and around the ceiling until it drops down into place

however its the networking thats giving me gyp

the first idea was to run networking cable from the sky router, through the walls to an 8 port switch (non wireless) then splitting off to various devices, this is still the end goal but isnt getting delivered for another while yet

so ive got an old router and im going to install dd-wrt on it and use it as a wireless bridge, once the other stuff comes it will be used as a wireless hotspot on the back as wifi signal is slightly poor there

then theres also networking cable going to most of the other rooms of the house to take advantage of the film, tv etc server (3Tb)

however i keep thinking ive missed something important and im not sure what, any ideas??

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Hi don't know if this helps I have had sky and now virgin media with both the set-top box in front room and another set-top box in back bedroom (cable run of 50 feet)and anything using broadband using Powerline adapters running through the mains sockets I have 3 different computers all using Ethernet through Powerline adapters no problems with slow speeds etc.

dpick

yep looked at power line but doing it low cost (50m cable cost £1.84)

just been going over it again and theres a dsl connection in the back of the sky box i hadnt noticed just trying to find out from sky if thats essential or not

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

labrat: no that's not essential.. All that 'ethernet' connection is for is the new sky anytime plus and on demand features. The only thing which IS required is the phoneline remains connected.

In regards to the network setup.. I'd personally re-cable the house to have RJ45 outlets stationed at strategic points in the house (.e. the front and back rooms in your case), so you can simplly patch it from one room to the other with near to zero loss.

WDS and Powerlines are horridly lossy. Also powerlines are bad for popping ethernet ports on things :D People forget that in the 'older days' when power supplies weren't as protected as they were, you unplugged everything in lightning storms due to overhead cables. Well overhead cables are still about, but now instead of plugging the newly protected PSU's into the main, we now plug in unprotected ethernet ports into the mains :p The only thing usually protecting them is a cheap MNC transformer in the device, which usually aren't sufficient in a ESD situations :D

ta, was wondering about putting sockets in each room

just took stock of the networking stuff and it turns out ive got about 3 spare sockets in the front of the house

and somewhere between 5 and 10 sockets in the back of the house

going to be making a cuboard in the old chimney brest to run as a mini server room soon

Please note:

does anyone know if a sky satelite dish can also receave freesat?

got lots of spare cable so may run sat dish to booster box then split out between the rooms and try to run freesat in all the bedrooms

Please note:

Sky has 'freesay' as to put it built in.No the Euro channels like DW etc... but Freeview channels will work.

If you pull your card out you'll see when you fire it up :)

In regards to the freesat channels, the ACTUAL ones no... Not as far as I know, you'll need a tracker dish (i.e. one which moves) and a programmable receiver where you can get the H and V of it as well as where it points.

I might be wrong, but this is as far as I know from experience.

Fromwhat I see is they offer this: http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/

BUt All that I can assume is that a new dish is installed pointed ina diff direction..

AFAIK you can get a "freesat" card from sky if you have a spare box.

Also maybe PM IdaInFife as she has her fingers in a lot of sky pies :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

It will pick up BBC freesat without any adjustment used to test my caravan's freesat box by taking out one of the sat leads from my sky box and just plug it into freesat box all worked no problem.

dpick

looking at the comments, you can pick up sky freesat itself without a card. I fyou don't need the foreighn channels like Deuchewella (or what ever its called) etc... You can go card free :) You'll get freeview PLUS a few thrown in courtesy of SKy :)

well the networkings all running now

due to bad signals on this side of the house i added a second wifi router to the mix

so theres now 1x sky router, 1x 8 port switch 1x netgear router

and the more amazing thing is it all worked first time

Please note:

first minor re-wire

one of the wifi networks wouldnt see any device on the rest of the network

turns out muppet here had connected it to the network by the port for the cable modem

turned off dhcp, changed network from 168.1.1 to 168.0.250 so it would see sky router

now all working

Please note:

its my fault

had the dsl sky router

then a switch

then a cable router

it was me connected the cable router up wrong

Please note:

Another way to have 2 separate networks which see each other is by using subnets i.e. the 255.255.255.0 needs changing to 255.255.0.0 would have picked up anything from 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.254.1