HFO, now BCW - barclay card which was over 7 years old then and was SB

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Love the forum and I'm looking for little bit of advice.

I had a run in with HFO at the start off 2011 about an old debt i had with barclay card which was over 7 years old then and was SB.

I did all the letter sending and never heard from them again.

But here's the crazy thing, I now live in Scotland ( since 12/2011 about 8 months after the letters from HFO stopped) and a letter from BCW dropped on my doorstep about 2 weeks ago asking if I was who they were looking for( It was my name on the letter) and if i could get in touch. And if i wasn't the named person to get in touch anyway.

After finding out who they were i filed it with the HFO stuff and left it at that. Now yesterday i received another letter from BCW saying they were working on behalf off HFO and would i ring their office to settle the debt from Barclay card which is now about 8 years old and funny enough half the amount HFO wanted and is now more or less what the original debt was.

What do you think i should do?

Are they chancers and looking for a quick buck? I'm thinking of just ignoring them as going by the first letter they don't even know if i live at the address the letter was sent. They don't have a leg to stand on and don't want to acknowledge the letters in fear off endless threat o grams.

Any opinion on this would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Edited by Redrift

I think they are chancing their luck. I think I have read on other threads on here that if you know the debt is SB for sure then to send them the SB letter cos otherwise they'll just keep chasing

It is just wishful thinking on their part and they are hoping you are one of the 'don't knows' and will contact them demanding you can pay.

Just ignore them and wait to see what else turns up, certainly never ever contact them on the phone.

Once it’s SB, always SB. Did you inform HFO that it was SB and you would not be paying? If so, complain to the OFT. HFO’s licence is still up for review and ‘minded to revoke’.

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Hi Conniff and Donkey,

Yeah was never going to ring them and was just going to ignore them. As You say Donkey once SB always SB.

Went through sending HFO letters in Feb 2011 Stating that the debt was now SB and i never heard anything else!!

Was thinking they sold the debt to BWC so they could try their luck.

Its always nice to get a second opinion and CAG are the best around.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post :)

And will let you know if anything comes of this

Cheers

No, BCW just chasing. No doubt HFO have just bunged them the raw data from their files, without any notes or letters, which I’m sure the OFT would love to hear about.

Send them a letter making clear you have informed HFO the debt is SB. Unless you want to watch them waste loads more money first...

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Think i will drop a wee note off to the OFT.

Seen to many posts from people terrified by HFO and another nail will help stop the madness!!

Though i think i will want and see a bit before i inform BWC that their wasting their time and money chasing me.

Thanks again guys and keep up the good work :)

• 4 months later...

thread tidied

and closed

if the OP needs it re-pen please PM one of the siteteam

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks