Claiming attendance allowance for someone else

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello guys, I hope you can help me with this, it's all new to me.

My mother is 90 and we had a bit of a crisis last week after a fall and some other stuff. She's in hospital now and waiting to go into a nursing home for at least 6 weeks. After that, we don't know if she'll go home and have help there or will need to go into a home permanently.

There isn't all that much help available to fill the form in, but I'm going to try to fill it in online.

My first question, will the system let me input it on her behalf, do you know?

Second question, she doesn't use a mobile phone and wouldn't hear the other person anyway. Do I put a member of the family as a contact number?

I shall be very grateful for any help you can offer.

Thanks, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you. Have you done this, Conniff? I was a bit confused about them wanting information on me, or should I just tell them I'm my mother filling it in and keep things simple?

There isn't a box to say someone is in hospital, doesn't have a computer, mobile phone etc. We don't have power of attorney and none of the other options apply except saying she's too disabled to deal with it, which is pretty much true.

HB

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43186[/ATTACH]

Here is the page for signing for someone else:

The only communications I had was by letter asking could they contact my doctor.

Edited by Conniff

:Hiya honeybee13:

Sorry to hear your Mum's not well, hope she feels better soon. And hope this isn't too late. Only just seen it. Been otherwise occupied plaguing Tatos!! :nod:

Have to confess I've never done a claim pack for attendance allowance but I'm guessing the phone and representative bits are the same as for other disability benefits. Unless you're likely to need it for other reasons, power of attorney's a sledgehammer for benefit matters so it's third party authority or appointee.

Doesn't matter who completes the form or how if your Mum can still understand her affairs and sign it herself. And she can write to Jobcentreplus to give them permission to talk to you via phone about her claim. Any phone numbers you don't have/don't want them to have, just leave the form blank. Starryeyes n I've had third party authority over each other's claims for years and it works a treat with Jobcentreplus. Tatos are another story, even when it's in the other info on an ESA50.

If your Mum can't sign for herself, or doesn't understand, or you don't want her to know you're applying for attendance allowance; it's an application and an interview for you or whoever to be appointed by Jobcentreplus to manage her claim including signing the paperwork.

:panda:Claim form, with claim notes, at;

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/claimforms/aa1a_print.pdf

:panda:Attendance allowance equivalent of ESA214;

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dwp028.pdf

:panda:And a ref I've cadged from a friend; AgeUK's Factsheet 34.

Margaret and :panda: :panda:.

Edited by **Margaret**

Thank you for all the advice, guys, I appreciate it. :)

In the event, I heard the other day that Social Services and Age UK had arranged for the DWP visitor service to go and see mother to help her fill in the form. I think this was the best solution, as they could see for themselves how she is and would know how to answer the questions.

Mother was moved to a care home on Friday and we're waiting to see how she gets on with confidence about moving around, having fallen over. It's been a tough couple of weeks, but she's in the right place now. As long as she agrees to stay there of course, the home said that she could leave if she wanted to. We're praying she won't.

Once again, thank you for helping me. HB x