Motor insurer asking for V5

tombhoy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4056 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just renewed my car insurance (with Hastings Direct).

I got a letter today skin me to send them a copy of my V5 to prove that I have owned my car since 2005 as stated.

I cannot see the logic behind this for a number of reasons:

They did not ask to see it last year

The value of my car will not change depending on how long I have owned it

My premium is not affected by how long I have owned the car

Is this necessary?

Why do they want it?

Can I refuse?

How long you have owned a vehicle is factored into the premium calculation. They are asking for the info, as presumably they believe that there is a difference between what you have told them and what is on record at DVLA.

If the info about ownership is wrong, get it corrected and pay the relevant adjustment in premium. Insurance is about utmost good faith.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

They might have chosen a handful of people randomly for the V5's as security measures, or random checks.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi Tombhoy, Thanks for posting here on CAG, I can see the members have already given you some good advise. As mentioned above the length of time you have owned the vehicle does effect the premium calculation from the underwriter as it forms part of the risk rating. We ask for various documents to check information ranging from licences to V5's and many others. If you need any help with your policy or you have any further questions please feel free to contact me directly and I will be happy to help. help@hastingsdirect.com Many Thanks, Jamie

Thanks or the replies all - I have never been asked to show any other documents when applying for car insurance before, and was curious as to why the insurers would need to see a V5---I had no idea that the length of time I owned a particular car would effect the premium...you learn something new every day.

It does lead me to think about what would happen to my premium if I decided to buy a newer model.

Thanks or the replies all - I have never been asked to show any other documents when applying for car insurance before, and was curious as to why the insurers would need to see a V5---I had no idea that the length of time I owned a particular car would effect the premium...you learn something new every day.

It does lead me to think about what would happen to my premium if I decided to buy a newer model.

Until they had input all of the information into their systems, you would not know how the premium would be affected. There are many rating factors. Length of ownership is used, as if you have had a vehicle for awhile with no claims, then it would appear you take care. Also if you buy a new vehicle, stats do show that people can have accidents, because they may not be totally confident in the way it drives or with slightly different controls.

A newer model may actually be cheaper to insure in some cases, if it has better security and/or parts may be cheaper for minor accident repairs. As I say, you input all the details and a premium is calculated on then new details.

As for Insurers requesting documents, there does appear to be an increasing tendancy for this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...