No cold weather payments on ESA

gpbrown81
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4071 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, I live in Bradford, West Yorkshire. My Incapacity benefit claim was transferred to Employment and Support Allowance (WRA) in October 2012. I know 2 other people who are on ESA who have received 4 cold weather payments this year but they are on the income related side of this benefit. After speaking to the DWP, their stance is that although other people on those other claims receive exactly the same amount of money, I do not qualify for any cold weather payments. The extra money that they do pay me as part of contribution based ESA is gobbled up by Rent and Council Tax shortfalls because of the level of income I have at the moment. Now doesn't this just sound crazy, I earn the same as those that qualify, the councils force me to pay a shortfall because my level of income, and yet I don't qualify for cold weather payments. If anything I actually earn less than those other people, and with mounting fuel usage this year because of cold weather I'm in even more financial hardship than I need to be. Does anybody know of a way that I might be able to get these payments? Is there some sort of department or complaint that can be raised in relation to this? Any help would be great, thanks.

Well, I am appealing being in this group to start with anyway. I suffer with ADHD, apparently this lifelong condition will improve in 6 months, yet I've had it since birth. Obviously the people at ATOS have no experience in mental health conditions and assume that a person will get better even though they said on my medical report that I have a "Significant mental disability". After 6 months they re-assessed me. I was taken off my medication and things are a lot worse now because I have a heart problem caused by taking Methylphenidate. I feel so angry at being treated like this. I am currently awaiting a letter from the appeals service about being placed in the wrong group. Perhaps I can include the cold weather payments in my appeal, because I will be doing so. If they decide that I should be in the support group anything I should have been entitled to (in theory) should be given back to me.

yeah the way contribution based works is pretty silly.

My take is after seeing the size of the ESA3 form and the amount of the ESA1 form that is for income related, is they by default push people onto CB because its less paper work. But that leaves poor people without the full help they entitled to.

I am on incapacity benefit and I get £101 a week......because its made up of £71 income support and topped up with incapacity of £30 I qualify for cold weather payment. Am wondering if they transfer me to ESA (assuming they dont fast track me to JSA heaven forbid) which ESA I will get, I don't really understand the differences between the income related and contribution based. As in who gets income related and who gets contribution based. I have been on benefits as income support alone, then incapacity due to illness for about 12 yrs now.

if you get transferred from IB you're on around £110 a week. if you're on income based ESA WRAG, you get £99 a week.

depends. Not everyone on IB gets age addition. So £110 is the absolute maximum if had max age addition.

IR WRAG is effectively nearer £110 a week due to the premiums on other benefits that CB doesnt get.

IR SG is at least £120 a week plus premiums on other benefits.

My area paid out 6 weeks worth of cold weather payments last 2 months for those on IR.

with my £101 I have to pay council tax £20 in April then £17 per month thereafter upto January 2014, so will see how much it is from then. So far I don't think I am paying any rent as haven't been sent anything regarding that, am in one bed flat and way under the cap on that, and no spare bedrooms.

Many people that I know are entitled to Pension Credit yet fail/refuse to claim it (like the rest of the 30% of the pensioner population). They are entitled to the Cold Weather Payment but don't get it!

So if a poor old pensioner has to struggle through this harsh winter, what say that the younger generation should be able to?

if anyone doesn't claim it through choice, is just that their choice, those with children who are entitled should claim it, young children have no choice in such matters.

your right Nystagmite...and also if it has to be applied for some just cant handle all the forms and red tape, the cold weather payment though is paid automatically, no need to apply, if your entitled they just pay it out.

your right Nystagmite...and also if it has to be applied for some just cant handle all the forms and red tape, .

Yes that is the main problem. I had one awful job of trying to work out for what reason the Pension Service ask some of the questions on the form.

Having got over that hurdle and the form went off, the next thing was a telephone call to arrange for one of their 'snoopers' to come to the house. Now that put me off straight away. Personally I trust the DWP about as much as I would trust not getting burnt if I poured petrol over myself and set fire to it!

It's no real wonder that people don't want to claim these benefits especially when they bring in MI6!!

Some people (talking about benefits in general) don't know what help is out there and it's not something that's really publicised.

yes.

I had to chase my own ESA3 form.

I also only found out about HC2 certs whilst seeing the forms in a dentist waiting room.

I don't understand ESA rates at all, reading this thread, we are all on different amounts, I was trans from Contribution based Incapacity benefit to ESA Support group and I get £105.05 per week, I don't even know if this is the right amount, it batters my head just thinking about it. What does the age addition mean, I'm 58 this year. Also do not claim housing or council tax benefits.

The age addition was added automatically to Incap Ben if you became ill at certain ages, there were 2 rates depending on when you fell ill. you should be on the same rate on ESA support group as when you transferred. There are no age additions in ESA. If you get more money than the standard rate of Support Group claimants your money will be frozen till it catches up.

the age addition is given to those under a certain age when they are ill...I am 56, I get long term incapacity benefit with income support. Am going to check the rates if I can.