new council tax benefit award letter came this mornirng

time4change2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4015 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Leicester CC run a discretionary fund for the new council tax scheme for vulnerable people.

http://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-council-services/housing/council-tax/ways-to-reduce-your-bill/council-tax-reduction-scheme/

Ahh this is indeed very interesting to know, thank you lucksic for this.

The Council Tax Discretionary Relief policy

Those who are most vulnerable, who will find that they cannot afford their council tax can contact their council and ask about the above.

I would get in there quick though as only so much is allocated to each council.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a letter a while back saying we'd have to pay a minimum 20% contribution. Had the council tax notice today (last year we were paying £58 a month) now we are supposed to pay £98 a month - our total benefit for the year being £21.98 and this is with a credit from last year due to overpaying! Now I need to dig out the guidelines for our council and figure out how 20% translates to 50% on our bill!

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Those who are most vulnerable, who will find that they cannot afford their council tax can contact their council and ask about the above.

Hang on that looks familiar!

Isn't that the thing I stated in my last post which had the link to the rightsnet discussion on the regulations underpinning this fund that all councils (should) have edited out of it?

Top Top adminning - Jamie Redknap/Unbelievable Geoff - Chris Kamara as both would say to Geoff in the studio!

This was worrying me estellyn as I had worked out what I would likely pay, but on the council tax figure for last year, and didn't know how much if any it would be increased by, from what I can tell its the only the police commissioner who has demanded a higher portion of it, by 3.5%....I hope (now that I am a council tax payer, whatever the amount) that he offers value for money. Seems estellyn like they got their sums wrong with yours, last year I had 3 separate letters from them all for different amounts then a fourth acknowledging I had full council tax benefit. When I see jobs advertised for the council admin staff, it makes me LOL to see that one has to be educated to 5 GCSE (or whatever the equilavent is now) and very often experience etc, and the amount of mess ups they make is hilarious, some of us of course have common sense that cant be taught, as with life experience and a logical thought process.

what makes you think people will stand together?

the last decade or so everyone just thinks of themselves.

evident in that noone moaned about the HB changes until those in council houses were been targeted later.

I said IF everyone stood together, I am under no illusions that most will stick their heads in the sand bucket and take it up the proverbial.

There is no backbone left in this country, the population have devolved into jellyfish.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Mine came this morning, have gone from paying £30 a month to £77 a month, all that's changed is the small rise in carers allowance

Unfortunately mine is the same, no change in circumstances from last year. But because we are deemed to have 'excess' income we are now liable for 100%, £94 a month, it was £21 last year.

The strange thing is though when they work out HB it states we need £xxx.xx to live on, then the Council Tax Support say we need £xxx.xx to live on. The Council Tax Support figure is lower than the HB, seems strange how you can need two different sums to live on depending on what benefit you are applying for.

Pete.

This was worrying me estellyn as I had worked out what I would likely pay, but on the council tax figure for last year, and didn't know how much if any it would be increased by, from what I can tell its the only the police commissioner who has demanded a higher portion of it, by 3.5%....I hope (now that I am a council tax payer, whatever the amount) that he offers value for money. Seems estellyn like they got their sums wrong with yours, last year I had 3 separate letters from them all for different amounts then a fourth acknowledging I had full council tax benefit. When I see jobs advertised for the council admin staff, it makes me LOL to see that one has to be educated to 5 GCSE (or whatever the equilavent is now) and very often experience etc, and the amount of mess ups they make is hilarious, some of us of course have common sense that cant be taught, as with life experience and a logical thought process.

Yes, my council is famous for getting its benefit calculation sums wrong. Last April I had to request 4 or 5 revisions because they would do a revision and the calculation would still be wrong. I'll be interested to see what they've managed to get wrong this time.

Read some of the changes that the local council have made to the 'local council tax benefit', and among other things (the lower capital limit is now the maximum capital limit) they've scrapped the hours disregard for working tax credit (husband is self employed), which explains some but not all of our increase - I think we have now reached the tipping point where my husband is financially better off not being self employed, and just being my carer.

I wish everyone would stick together and show some backbone to this govt, but I fear that osdset is right and its more jellyfish than backbone, and of course the elderly and those with health problems that don't have the strength or will to fight. There are days I don't have the will to live never mind fight. Having said that if there is any march or demo or the like that I hear of and can get to then I will be there, home made banner and all.

An interesting point about the Discretionary Fund came up on another forum. The poster reported being told by her council that whilst DLA is not counted as income for HB, it is for the Discretionary Fund. Of course, the council representative could be mistaken, but if not than it's an interesting way to make it harder to qualify for ...

An interesting point about the Discretionary Fund came up on another forum. The poster reported being told by her council that whilst DLA is not counted as income for HB, it is for the Discretionary Fund. Of course, the council representative could be mistaken, but if not than it's an interesting way to make it harder to qualify for ...

discretionary payments are by their nature discretionary, so councils can (and most do) take into account incomes or capital that would normally be disregarded for HB

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Unlike DHPs which help with rent costs, there is no money provided by central government for discretionary council tax relief.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Further to the posts about Council Tax Discretionary Relief, this area can cause some confusion.

In effect, we are talking about 2 different discretions which exist at the moment: -

1. Discretionary Housing Payments which can currently assist those in receipt of CTB who need extra assistance to meet their CT costs. Councils receive funding from DWP towards these costs.
  2. Discretionary CT Relief which allows Councils to reduce any CT charge for an individual or group of individuals. Councils do not receive funding for these costs.

From 1 April 2013, the ability to award DHPs for CT costs is to be abolished, however Councils will still have a discretion to reduce any CT charge.

How Councils will choose to do this will vary from Council to Council. Some Councils have set budgets for Discretionary Relief, others have set no budget.

Yep got mine today, mine has doubled to nearly £50 per month. So come later in the year I will now be £425 worse off per month instead of £400 due to my son leaving 6th form.

No idea yet how we'll manage. I have just got a credit card & shall probably get another soon, before my credit rating goes right out the window & we'll have no way of even eating..

i found this on-line this morning it makes for an interesting read i contacted my local council tax benefit department for my sister this morning and explained it to them they then said she needs to send her current ESA award to prove she is in the ESA support group and receives the SDP which she currently does they then said a reduction may be made for her new council tax award which seems a little strange but its worth a read and ill keep you posted on what the out come is of her new award

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Obscure-8216-Council-Tax-Support-8217-Exemption/story-18414719-detail/story.html#axzz2NqEj5yI7

It's a complete mess up, tbf, nitelite. Every area doing it's own thing. As for:

... states that those who will be exempt from the tax will be those receiving a Severe Disability Premium within Employment and Support Allowance. However, there is no Severe Disability Premium in ESA, only 'Components' (Work-related activity or Support component ...
I get paid, as many others must do, the Severe Disability Premium* with my ESA. All comes in the same payment. But entitlement to it is triggered by DLA MRC (for me) which is paid separately...

*Not to be confused with the Enhanced Disability Premium that comes with the ESA Support Group (IR).

Edited by RaeUK

that's very true reaUK

but if you think of it they state that there is no SDP with ESA only work or support group but id say that's not necessary true the SDP is linked to receiving DLA but it is attached to your esa payments if you look on your ESA award it give you a total weekly amount and then a separate breakdown of all the money that makes up you ESA payments so one could argue for some people its not part of there ESA (those who do not qualify for it) but for those who do qualify for it the it is part of there weekly ESA payments

It's a complete mess up, tbf, nitelite. Every area doing it's own thing. As for:

I get paid, as many others must do, the Severe Disability Premium* with my ESA. All comes in the same payment. But entitlement to it is triggered by DLA MRC (for me) which is paid separately...

*Not to be confused with the Enhanced Disability Premium that comes with the ESA Support Group (IR).

SDP - is it paid to those that are on Contribution based ESA, where they are in the Support Group and receiving MRC of DLA?

I think that bit needs clarification. I think that it only refers to those on IR ESA - I stand corrected though.

Generally speaking, it is safe to assume that whatever I talk about I do so from a perspective of IR benefits as I is a peasant. That said, I would offer a tentative suggestion that the SDP isn't IR - and am happy to be corrected - on the basis that the only criteria I have seen are that you must a) live alone, b) no-one receives carers allowance for you and c) you receive DLA MRC or above.

Other than that, as noted above, it's paid by them that pays ESA with all the other ESA payments. Separate from DLA payments.

i dont know if it can or cant be paid on CB ESA but the few people i know including my sister who get it are all on income based ESA but it would be nice to get clarification from someone who gets it on CB ESA if they do

That all said, this is from quite an old online document but might still be accurate ...

It will be possible for people on Income Related ESA to be paid extra money called ‘premiums’ currently paid to people on IS who qualify for them (eg. because they receive a certain level of Disability Living Allowance, live alone and nobody is claiming Carers Allowance for supporting them). This will be in addition to the basic ESA allowance and the additional amount paid for support or work related activity.

So, I assume, the SDP and the EDP have found their way into ESA as they used to be available on Income Support.

SDP - is it paid to those that are on Contribution based ESA, where they are in the Support Group and receiving MRC of DLA?

I think that bit needs clarification. I think that it only refers to those on IR ESA - I stand corrected though.

No premiums for those on ESA© as such. So, for example, if someone has savings or a partner who works more than 24 hrs p/w, they won't get the EDP.

However, if someone would otherwise be entitled to ESA(IR) but receives ESA© because their applicable amount for both benefits is the same, they may receive premiums.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Exactly seanamarts,

I am budgeted up to the hilt and cannot afford £5.00 a month on top of everything else, as it is I spend far less than £200. per month allocated to my husband & I, we often have just a sandwich for dinner as we cannot afford a meal...

It's all wrong! I have other commitments which sadly break into my disability money as it is so how they expect me to manage this I'll never know!!

The elderly I fear will be harder hit and that is a real worry.. Think it's high time I got to know who my new neighbours are and see if they are going to be ok...

why do you think the elderly will be harder hit they are excluded from just about every cut and I dont think they anymore vulnerable than working age sick.