Faulty laptop hard drive advice needed

sdmilne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4090 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a faulty hard drive that is eligible to be replaced under warranty. The company no longer has the exact hard drive in stock and so they say they need to get a replacement sent from the manufacturer which could take up to 2 weeks. In their terms and conditions they say that with warranty replacements, the replacement will be of equal value and performance, or superior value and performance, dependent on current stock levels. They do currently have the 750gb version of my hard drive (I have the 500gb one) but said they couldn't offer a part exchange on that, but i could have it for £95 if I wanted. Should they be offering this drive as the replacement or are they right in offering the direct manufacturers replacement at a time delay of 2 weeks? Any advice would be great!

By law they have to do the repair withing a "reasonable time" so I would say 2 weeks is within that.

What laptop is it? Do you have recovery media (IE a CD/DVD that came with the laptop containing whichever version of Windows you have)?

If you don't have recovery media, it was probably on the old hard drive as a "recovery partition", and so you will need a hard drive with the same recovery partition. In this case I would personally want a replacement direct from the manufacturer, even though a little smaller.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I’ve had two hard drives replaced under warranty in the past couple of years and in both cases the retailer organised an exchange for me directly with the manufacturer.

Also £95 seems a little steep for 750GB laptop drive, Dabs have one in for £47.

The 2 weeks under the warranty is reasonable so you may want to wait. If you replace it yourself you may invalidate the warranty. Do not do that.

The £95 is for parts AND labour, so that would also be reasonable, but don't go with that.

I have a Dell and a 3 year warranty run out last September. I renewed for a further 2 years and not long after the screen went, then the hinge broke so it needed a new case. Well worth the additional warranty costs as they fix on-site :)