Debt taken on by Sigma Red

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I've used the invaluable advice in threads from here a lot and huge thanks to people who post advice here :)

I really need help/advice about a latest debt-pass-along to a firm called Sigma Red.

I ran up the debt a couple of years ago or so with a bank. I had become unemployed after pregnancy (long story, bad/corrupt workplace, terrible life situation).

Moved house.

Debt collection people 'caught up' with me; various companies, the usual passing on of the debt to another firm when letters were unanswered, the usual companies discussed on here. The latest is Sigma Red; they say they're acting on behalf of bank. Have a scary CSA logo and dbsg at bottom which I dont like.

I'm worried they'll take me to court if they really are acting for their client.

Just don't know what to do. I'm in the support group of ESA with serious mental health issues so this letter is really affecting me with worry. I don't have a single bean to give them.

There's not a lot across the boards about these Sigma people, not that I've found in my panic anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated.

as its a debt owed they have the night to take you to curt to get the money back as does each debt company however its always best to try and arrange something with them for repayment of the debt or the last resprt is they can take you to court for it. a friend of mine has recently had money taken from his benefit automatically from the dwp for a debt the company took him to court and was informed he was on benefit and the company them with the court order had money taken form his benefit as they can do this now

its always best to write them a letter offering an amount to pay and try pay it off that way they have to bank any payments from you by law even if its not what you agreed but call then or write to them as it will not go away

They are the same as any other DCA. There are threads on CAG where they have issued a court claim. One was on where HSBC were involved.

Given your health issues, if a bank still own this debt, then you should perhaps let them know what your situation is and ask for their help. Then see what their response is. I would suggest that you don't contact Sigma Red until you have heard back from the bank.

If you are on benefits and have limited means to make payments, then sometimes making creditors aware of this is sensible. If you have health issues, then again sensible to let creditors know about this. If they don't know, then you can't expect them to not to hassle you for payment. Perhaps you can arrange to pay say £1 a month towards the debt and if you do that then they will leave you alone and not hassle you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

as its a debt owed they have the night to take you to curt to get the money back as does each debt company however its always best to try and arrange something with them for repayment of the debt or the last resprt is they can take you to court for it. a friend of mine has recently had money taken from his benefit automatically from the dwp for a debt the company took him to court and was informed he was on benefit and the company them with the court order had money taken form his benefit as they can do this now

its always best to write them a letter offering an amount to pay and try pay it off that way they have to bank any payments from you by law even if its not what you agreed but call then or write to them as it will not go away

I wouldnt have thought that a DCA can arrange to take money for a consumer debt from benefits by way of the DWP ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

So, are Sigma and these other DCA's "participating organisations from the not-for-profit sector such as credit unions and community development finance institutions. Organisations taking part are referred to as ‘lenders’ and have demonstrated to DWP that they meet approved responsible lending criteria." As stated on that link.

If so, this country is even more foooked than I ever possibly dreamed of.

I may be sick with worry but the idea of a DCA being a responsible not-for-profit organisation (or the bank who they claim to be acting for in the letter), made me laugh. But thanks for the advice nightlite :)

unclebulgaria67 >>> I just don't know who the debt is owned by. The previous DCAs did not say they were acting on behalf of the bank so I gained the impression that the bank had sold on the debt. This letter is a standard please pay the amount type wording. It also mentions that I may not be able to pay the amount in full so I could contact them to agree an affordable repayment scheme. I think one firm tried offering me a negotiated amount of one third off, which would have removed the banks extortionate charges they slapped onto the debt before they passed it on to the DCAs.

I just don't know whether to contact them or to stay silent. as I have thus far.

Ok, you need to know if the debt has been properly assigned. Amend the letter attached below and send it off to the DCA - at least you will be able to establish the status of the debt.

:)

I have attached both a pdf and a word document file for you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42135[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]42136[/ATTACH]

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D