anti-welfare rhetoric

id6052
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4099 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find out the difference between a Social Security System and Welfare and post back!

sorry, not sure what point you are trying to make

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Find out the difference between a Social Security System and Welfare and post back!

I haven't got much of a clue either but it's a good question. I'd have a stab at:

Social Security being things like JSA, ESA, DLA et al and Welfare being Pensions, WTC, CTC etc?

I haven't got much of a clue either but it's a good question. I'd have a stab at:

Social Security being things like JSA, ESA, DLA et al and Welfare being Pensions, WTC, CTC etc?

welfare is generally associated with handouts. Which fits the modern mentality now days anyone on out of work benefits is getting handouts.

social security is like a nationalised insurance scheme. It insures there is a safety net for everyone who needs help as its better for the country overall. Another way maybe to look at it could be that any contribution based benefit is social security and income based is welfare, but I dont look at it that way.

Interested in speedfreak's answer as he asked the question.

10 points to Worried

and for you bonus questions for 30

if the 'free' press can't tell the difference nor tell you that whilst someone a forum can..;..

Fact of the day Motorhead played the Ace of Spades as guest band on the University Challenge episode of the Young ones

Being on benefits is like having an embarrassing disease perceived to be caused by some deficiency in character and morals. Few want to admit to it or be tarnished with that image. Being on benefits used to mean you needed help, now it seems to mean you're a bad person..... Except people who are on benefits also believe this - in their head they are one of the 'deserving' people on benefits, and most around them are 'underserving'. I used to see it all the time too. People coming in for help with their benefit claims, saying 'off course I might not get it because of x', for x insert their chosen prejudice - single parents, immigrants, fake disabled, breeders etc etc. People believe the proganda, and assume the problem is widespread and therefore they being in the minority of 'deserving' claimants.

Then of course there are those who say 'at least I work' and am not a scrounger, while I complete their HB and WTC forms.

Classic cognitive dissonance.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Except people who are on benefits also believe this - in their head they are one of the 'deserving' people on benefits, and most around them are 'underserving'. I used to see it all the time too.

I know someone like this. Apparently, I shouldn't be claiming DLA. He has no idea what's wrong with me.

10 points to Worried

and for you bonus questions for 30

if the 'free' press can't tell the difference nor tell you that whilst someone a forum can..;..

Fact of the day Motorhead played the Ace of Spades as guest band on the University Challenge episode of the Young ones

Oh Socrates, you're so methodical.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

What about david cameron , who is by no means poor, claimed Disability Living Allowance?

In any case, they do not compare to his enormous and still little-known claims for mortgage interest on his substantial country house near Witney

i have always wondered whether he really needed to borrow £350,000, or indeed needed a house at all in a constituency only 70 miles from Parliament.

Thats roughly £1,700 a month in mortgage interest payments on that house, for eight long years. We might call this payment ‘Parliamentary Housing Benefit’.

who realy is the work shy scrounger milking the system for all he can get, after all, ‘all being in it together’ seems a bit hollow

The powers that be will be laughing at this, everyone blaming each other except the real culprits.

Devide and rule my friend.

Can you remember the public sector vs private sector.

Now its strivers vs skivers. This does not mean skivers vs workers because everyone claiming any benefit to top up their low wages is in the crosshairs for cuts.

Its a one way street to poverty.

My theory is that the millionaire torys want a large work program army to be used as slaves for the profit of rich private sector companies.

The stock market is at a record high at the moment. These companies are making huge profits using free labour paid for by tax payers.

Britain is now a serfdom nation.

According to today's Daily Mail, from April job seekers will be expected to accept any minimum wage job offered, and be prepared to travel 90 mins each way.

I can't speak for the rest of the country but here in London a 90 min commute on the tube would cover all 5 zones at a cost of £51.80 for a weekly pass, this is nearly a quarter of the take home pay for someone on NMW, how in the world would this encourage people off 'benefit dependency'? Perhaps politicians think all jobs come with travel expense accounts, or free chauffeur driven vehicles like theirs do.

Back to work payments are being scrapped so how on earth can someone afford to pay this kind of expense up front for possibly even a month until they get paid, and then look forward to struggling on three quarters of a rate of pay that's derisory, I defy anyone living independently to manage in London on £6.19 per hour, it can't be done. My girlfriend earns £8.50 per hour and after paying her outgoings is barely left with enough to survive on.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

as has been said in other posts there is going to be serious consequences to all this, I am by no means as educated some who have commented on this thread, but I am one who is already suffering at the hands of this govt and am actually in fear of what is to come, plan a) see what happens plan b) overdose. feel guilty at plan b, my family would be heartbroken, but who wants to live being judged, no hope, no money, no future, no life. I can only pray something will happen to change course, but have little faith of that being the case.

I have been thinking this for some time Consumer dude...its a scary thought, thinking of poll tax riots, and the other summer albeit for a different reason that time, its really not a UK any more. We are in this on our own, cam moron and calamity clegg are not with us but against us, as they have the power and money to do as they please it would seem, nothing United about our country anymore. The future for people like me is doomed, I feel its just a matter of time before we are thrown further to the lions, and homeless.....the days of the poor in workhouses and mental institutions look like coming back if the tories remain in power.

me neither....and I would extend that to all those who have been instrumental in aiding his abuse of people like me/us........atos to name one, lying assessors .....all these educated people who should know better disgust me. the whole system is a shambles at best and at worst the most corrupt I have seen in this country in my lifetime by a govt masquerading as a body who is in it with the rest of us.........b/s

its a scary scenario, and yes i have heard people voicing that something will have to give as it will not be stood for, albeit from overheard chats whilst getting prescriptions and needs only shopping, these are the real people talking, the sufferers who have had enough and can see things only worsening.