housing benefit for students

lexie-1970
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4128 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ive started at Uni im 42 with two sons living at home in full time education. I am a tenant of South Kestecen council in Lincolnshire.

I was on ESA for a back injury but ive lost that because atos wouldnt give me a second chance interview as i missed an appointment due to illness, so we are living off child benefit ,grants and my student loan and £5 a month CSA. Ive handed all of my documents into my local council to claim housing benefit and theyve calculated i have to pay £82 a week for an £83 rent !!! yet another lady who is on the SAME course and lives in the SAME town but is in a private let property, shes getting £350 housing benefit and shes only got 1 child ! how can this be so????????? its totaly unfair ive read that only my student lond and bursary from my university can be taken into account when calculating housing benefit, which y total nothing more than £6000 approx, can anyone advise me please as im worried sick and its affecting my health.

I get the Maintenance loan and the students support grant, i also get parents learning allowance and a smll bursary from the uni but ive read all that can be allowed is the maintenace loan bursary and child tax credit, ive tried talking with my housing benefit department but im not gettting much joy tbh

the rules for students are a bit more complicated

special support grant and parents learning allowance are both disregarded in full, as is tuition fee loan

maintenance loan, bursary and child tax credit are taken into account as income (subject to some disregards for travel, books, equipment)

have you checked the decision letter to make sure your children are included?

what have they calculated your income at?

what have they calculated your applicable amount at?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.