job let down last minute

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4140 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi,

i hope I've posted this in the correct section.

On the 10th January, i had a job interview for a parts person at an auto factors. Following the interview, i was contacted on the following Monday to say they would like to offer me the job and when would i be able to start. As i was still employed i had to give 1 weeks notice and they said that was fine so we agreed that i would start on Tuesday Nd January. So i handed in my notice at my job and proceeded to work my full 1 weeks notice and my last day would be Sunday Th Jan.

This morning, I had a phone call from my new employer who said he had some bad news. His had office has postponed all recruitment due to the economic climate. He said although last week they agreed to hire someone, they have no retracted that choice and are now stopping all recruitment, which leaves me with no job.

I would like to know where I stand as i am potentially unemployed on the basis that they said i had the job, then let me down,the day before i was suppose to start. Although there was no written confirmation, there was a verbal one which i have been told can be legally binding. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

But for now all i can do is keep up the job hut, i haven't been unemployed since i left school and i don't want to be now.

Thanks in advance!!

Hello and welcome to CAG. I'm sorry to hear you have a problem.

I'm pretty sure we've had people on the forum who have gone back to their old employer and ask for their job back. Would this be an option for you, do you think?

I expect the forum guys will be along later with advice for you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Unless there is an agreement to the contrary, the general rule for employment is "termination at will". You have a statutory right to minimum notice but this only kicks in once you have been employed for a month. From your post it doesn't sound like notice periods were discussed so unfortunately I don't think there is anything you can do apart from ask for your old job back.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Unless there is an agreement to the contrary, the general rule for employment is "termination at will". You have a statutory right to minimum notice but this only kicks in once you have been employed for a month. From your post it doesn't sound like notice periods were discussed so unfortunately I don't think there is anything you can do apart from ask for your old job back.

I see, well I have just tried to ask for my job back but as they were looking to get rid of someone they can't take me back. So now I don't have a job, I have been looking since October of last year so i guess I'm pretty much screwed!

I see, well I have just tried to ask for my job back but as they were looking to get rid of someone they can't take me back. So now I don't have a job, I have been looking since October of last year so i guess I'm pretty much screwed!

Unfortunately so. What a rotten situation to be in through no fault of your own. Very best of luck with finding something else.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

• 2 weeks later...

the very most you will get is the week's notice they have not paid you....

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

i have looked up some more information, i have found that a verbal offer is still a legally binding contract, Does anyone know any more information on this?

Many thanks

Even if you managed to successfully run that argument, without signing a written contract you're only entitled to statutory notice of termination, which at this early stage, is zero notice.

It's an unfortunate situation, but there's nothing you can really do except search for another job!