style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last year we approached a company called SureShield UK Ltd in the West Midlands about having a conservatory installed. They gave us a reasonable quote, but then things went pear shape and we were not able to go ahead.

We then contacted them again earlier this month and on the 11/05/2012 the sales person came around and it was agreed that the price would stay basically the same.

As we did not have the cash for the deposit on us at the time and they could not take a card payment , it was agreed that within the next week a surveyor would call around and we could pay him. We signed the agreement and a day later a surveyor came around we paid a deposit of £563 in cash they were unable to accept a card payment. I thought this to be rather quick.

We then waited for some sort of confirmation from them about erecting the conservatory, but heard nothing. We then phoned and asked if they had a date for the erection of the conservatory and they told us the installation team would be contacting us shortly.

We have had not further contact since that phone call. Previously I had done a search on SureShield UK Ltd but it was only at the time of the phone call I realised that although the format was identical the letterhead was different and the name of the company was now Stormseal UK Ltd.

Today on doing a search I came across this which shows a "First Gazzette" filed on 03/04/2012 and then a DISS40(SOAD) filed on 09/05/2012. What is the meaning of the First gazette and DISS40(SOAD)? Is it anything to be concerned about?

We are now very worried and would be reluctant to hand over any further cash until the conservatory has been built. The other concerns are of course any warranty with the conservatory if they keep changing their name and why they cannot take a card payment. Other companies with similar names have operated from the same address, but have all folded and gone into administration.

As more than 7 days have passed, do you think we have any chance of recouping our money from them especially as the DISS40(SOAD) was filed before we paid the deposit?

Edited by citizenB
spacing for easier reading

DISS40 is what happens when a company fails to file it's accounts on time and Companies House move to strike it off the register.

"A private company that is not trading may apply to the Registrar to be struck off the register. It can do this if the company is no longer needed. For example, the active directors may wish to retire and there is no-one to take over from them; or it is a subsidiary whose name is no longer needed; or it was set up to exploit an idea that turned out not to be feasible. The procedure is not an alternative to formal insolvency proceedings where these are appropriate, as creditors are likely to prevent the striking off. Even if the company is struck off and dissolved, creditors and others could apply for it to be restored to the register."

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

That seems to indicate to me that the company may be in the poo poo which is why the directors wanted it struck off. Maybe creditors do not want it dissolved. Not sure where to go with it.

I looked up Stormseal UK Ltd on the Companies House website using their company registration number 2266723. What do they mean when it states "Sail address created". Being pensioners we do nto want to lose a whole lot of money at this time of our lives. All this gobbly gook has us confused and very unsure whether to trust this company or not.

Sail ...Notification of single alternative inspection.They file this form to inform Companies House of an alternative address were companies records are kept for inspection.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Sail ...Notification of single alternative inspection.They file this form to in form Companies House of an alternative address were companies records are kept for inspection.

Andy

Thanks. I have requested soem files from Companies House and will peruse them as quite concerned and upset if we have lost the deposit money.

I have now done further investigation and pulled the company records. It now turns out that last year when they came and quoted using the letterhead SureShield UK Ltd, the order was from a company that no longer existed as there had been a name change to Stormseal UK Ltd! Surely this is an offence? Although they have retained the same company number, where does this leave us with any warranty issues if they change the name again?

At present the “new” company's accounts, Stormseal UK Ltd are well overdue at Companies House. Also I wonder if by using the identical format for order forms it may be construed as a way to possibly deceive customers. The exception is that the name of the company changed, but format is otherwise identical.

On both order forms for the conservatory they have the FENSA logo, but FENSA do not cover conservatories, only double glaze windows. Secondly Stormseal UK Ltd are not registered with FENSA, but have the logo displayed on the order form. This was confirmed by FENSA. Apparently this is an offence offence under the Trade Marks Act 1994 and Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 to display that you are a member of an organisation when your company is not a member. Where does that leave us as our deposit is no longer protected.

On phoning again I was informed that the installer would be contacting us shortly regarding the installation, but now it sounds like a fob off as no phone call. Not even a letter welcoming you as a customer!

If the company keep changing their name but retain the same company number, does this mean that any warranty will be worthless? Lastly they want payment on delivery even though the conservatory has not been erected. If you pay by debit or credit card there is a surcharge of 4.5% (approx £150) of the total amount which is lubricious. This was in the small print which I overlooked.

Do you think that taking into consideration all the above that we stand a reasonable chance of getting back our deposit if we had to go through the small claims court?

• 7 months later...

I don't know how well it will work in a conservatory, but we used to use Kilrock Damp Traps to reduce condensation around our windows - they cost about £3, and you can get even scented ones. I wouldn't say it cured the problem, but it definitely reduced it.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Put some bowls of sale around it used to waork in parents caravan, salt attracts the moisture, and it a cheap thing to try

Thanks, but that would never work in a caravan due to the large number of vent holes a caravan has in the floor. Basically they are trying to dry out the earth's atmosphere as the dry air is quickly replaced by dry air from the outside. We got that t-shirt and learnt the hard way! :wink: As we have to open the conservatory door from time to time, I assume the same would happen, but thanks anyway.

We also used to get a lot of condensation in the bathroom, fans didnt work so had to open the window a lot, bit chilly in winter:-)

Seems ventilation and warmth are the answer to will leave windows slightly open and see if it improves.