Work Email Help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have made a schoolboy error and sent a work email to a stranger by mistake.

I was meant to send home to my partners email but mistyped and it sent to an incorrect one but I didn't know until I was home and checked my work phone as the email hadn't arrived. (I sent home to work on a report) So unable to recall.

The email does not contain sensitive or commercial data or MI, it does have some detail around what changes I would like to make, but No Names are mentioned.

Not sure what to do? Do I contact IT/ my line manager - will this just create a huge problem when it was a genuine mistake - the emails do all go out with the normal disclaimers at the bottom.

If it were me, I would probably email the recipient again and apologise for the mistake, requesting that the email be deleted.

Would you have got into trouble for sending the email to home in any case? If not, then even if the recipient were to email the Postmaster and query the message, then it could easily be explained as a regrettable, but genuine mistake.

Personally I doubt that you will hear any more. Are you sure that it went to a deliverable address?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

One thing to clarify here: email is never private but always public. The SMTP protocol doesn't have any protection built-in. This is not just a technical thing, it has legal implications: you can't request a message to be deleted from a mailbox.

Even that long legal disclaimer crap at the bottom of corporate emails make no sense whatsoever.

As a general rule of thumb sensitive or delicate information should never be sent by email. If there's no other way, the only alternative is to use asymmetric encryption with GPG/PGP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"