DCA chasing Fairmile Partnership debt - old Citi financial debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to all,

I'm new to these forums and I hope someone can give me some advice.

I have just received a letter from a debt collection company claiming that I owe nearly £300 to Fairmile Partnership 1 LLP.

As I have never received such a letter before,

I panicked and phoned them for more details and clarification.

They tell me that the original debt was to a company called Citi Financial Europe and that the debt defaulted back in 2000.

I am certain that I have never dealt with Fairmile Partnership or Citi financial before and I am certain that I don't owe this money.

Unfortunately during my phone conversation, I was asked for my date of birth which I gave and confirmed that the number I was calling on was my home number.

I hindsight I shouldn't have given the details but as I've already said, I was panicked.

I have looked in the library section on here and have put a letter together using the Prove it template and the Status barred template.

Obviously I want to tell them that I have no knowledge of the debt but I also want to make them aware that I am aware of the law regarding old debts.

My questions are, firstly is it a good idea to combine 2 letters into one heavy weight letter?

Secondly, on their letter the original creditor is shown as Fairmile Partnership yet when I phoned the collection company, the guy told me it was Citi Financial Europe,

which company should I refer to in my letter?

To add further confusion, there is yet another company name mentioned in the letter. The pursuers are a company called Arrow Global Limited, Original Creditor is Fairmile Partnership 1 LLP.

I would be very grateful for any help or advice anyone could offer this confused soul.

Many thanks in advance

Davo

hi davo

welcome along.

sadly you fell for the oldest trick in the book!

you owe no-one anything for a debt of that age.

pers i'd ignore them now

you've not and CANNOT admit to anything on the phone anyhow

its well statute barred,

there is nothing they can do

they are not bailiffs and have NO such legal powers

just remember

NEVER EVER phone a DCA or a fake/tame solicitor

p'haps check your cra file

see below

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

i've moved you thread to the citi forum

you'll see from reading other threads

the truth too

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

there are two schools of thought

send the SB letter

or

ignore them.

the issue with replying or talking to them

always results in them thinking they've found a mug to fleece

that knows no better

you do

you found CAG

dx

and they

I guess there are 2 choices.

You are obviously aware of the debt and it is a pretty fair bet that it is statute barred.

so..

1: You can ignore them and they might go away.. however having spoken to them on the phone, they probably now think you are an easy mark and could possibly send more letters or even telephone you.

2: Or you could send the SB letter. They should then, according to the CSA and the OFT.. return the paperwork whence it came and leave you alone. If they dont and you have told them you wont be paying - you can then make a complaint to the OFT :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you for your replies and advice.

Regarding my awareness of the debt.

I have only now become aware that I am being chased for a sum of money that I do not owe.

I have never heard of or had any dealings with any of the companies detailed in my earlier post.

I do not know how or why this has happened and I am surprised to have received such a letter.

It's only after talking to Mackenzie Hall on the telephone that I learnt that the debt went default way back in 2000.

Seems strange to me that after 12 years this letter should arrive especially as I've never knowingly run away from a debt or failed to enter my details on the electoral register.

A couple of year ago, I found that I had an entry of some kind on my credit file regarding some problem I was supposed to have had with British Gas.

Again this was news to me.

It was somehow linked to an address in a part of the country I've never even visited let alone lived in.

I contacted the credit agency and got the entry removed as again it was nothing to do with me.

Is it likely or possible that these two issues are a part of a bigger issue such as identity theft?

If it is, what can I do?

Many thanks again

Davo

post 2

nothing to worry about well SB'ed

stay off that phone!!

dx

and they

Again thank you for your advise. Reading through CAG and getting advise from people far more knowledgeable than me has put my mind at rest for now.

I will keep posting updates on this situation as and if there is anything noteworthy to add just in case my experience may be of any help to anyone in a similar situation. Perhaps it's more likely that I will be needing further advice though.

Many thanks

Davo