Liability to Pay Large Vets Bill

manxie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4157 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife took our terrier to the vets in July because he had severe vomiting and dehydration. She brought the dog home after a consultation and thought she could treat him herself. On seeing how ill the dog was I took him straight back to the vets and asked them to treat him. Over the following days they diagnosed many different illnesses but on the fourth day they gave him an ultra sound and they conclusively diagnosed gastro- enteritis and said he was basically a very healthy dog. I have raised the standard of treatment and delay in scanning him on several occasion but have got absolutely nowhere and the bill came to over £900 .

Since this episode my wife has moved out and taken the dog with her. She refuses to pay the account and has told the vets to send the bill to me. I have tried telling the vets that the bill is not mine but because I signed for the treatment they are going after me. On The consent form, the signature box states:'signature of owner/agent' As the account at the vets has always been in her name and she contends that she is the owner of the dog. Can I suggest that I am not the correct person to pursue for payment.

Sorry about the length of this post.

hi, you took the dog to the vets and asked the vet to treat the dog. you then signed for the treatment. so you can not suggest you are not the correct person to pursue for payment.

maybe you think its worthwhile to ask the vet for an itemised bill and work from there - hopefully reducing the bill. i would be so annoyed if the vet wanted to charge me £900 for telling me my dog had gastroenteritis which is just a fancy medical term for a bad stomach.

• 1 month later...

if the animal is with your ex, but she states that it is your responsibility to pay the bill, perhaps you can then tell her that you will be coming to collect 'your' pet since she's admitted that you, and not she, is responsible for it.

IMHO you are liable for the cost as you gave the instruction for treatment, whether the cost is fair that is another matter, maybe some negotiation and substatiation of costs with vet may reduce it.

As for ownership now of the dog, it is joint and classed as goods and chattels with regards to the law.

you could sue for ownership in the court ( not worth it IMO ) or come to some arrangement with your wife as part any settlement.