style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3658 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Brother's just been for 1st interview to sign on. Not familiar with process at all. He's 60 and been in continuous employment for 40 odd years. Said he was told it was mandatory to create a Job match account and create an email address. Advisor put it as part f his jSA. I told him I didn't think he has to allow them access to his email or jobmatch account. And that he can search for work on it without logging into his account, due to not wanting cookies placed on his PC, as long as he can show with print outs he's been looking at it .Is this correct?

He asked can they not just insist he visits the JC (15 miles away) 5 times a week to log into theirs?. And can they ask him to log into it and show them what he's done under his log in details when he returns to sign on. Sorry for questions, but get the feeling he's going to be stitched up due to total unfamiliarity with the JC process, and end up sanctioned for something or other. Which would be a real shame as he's only eligible for 6 months CB JSA, and no other means tested benefits whatosever due to my SIL's income..

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, and welcome to the site, there's a lot of useful information here - some of it vital - that you can find out if you read through the various threads. It's very important to know the DWP rules as I find that not many of the Jobcentre clerks do. You can ask the same question at a Jobcentre and be told ten different answers.

As it presently stands, sign-up with UJ is not mandatory across the board, but a JC advisor can mandate you to register if they think it will improve your chances of finding work. This is called a Jobseekers Direction and you should get it in writing, I note that they have already put it on your JS agreement as part of your terms.

However, even if mandated to register, you do not have to tick the box which says 'allow the DWP access to my account'. This is clearly stated in memo by the DWP's union, PCS (who are not pleased at JC advisors giving clients wrong info). A lot of people have reported advisors telling them they 'have' to allow them access but don't let them bully you into it. No doubt the ruling will eventually be changed to make us all register but it hasn't happened yet.

You can also use the EU cookie laws as a get-out and it's up to the Jobcentre to provide pc's which the public can access. I would be inclined to ask for expenses to be paid too, each time I had to visit the JC to use their pc.

Though I've registered with UJ myself, I refused to give access to the JC and show proof of my jobsearch in paper form; the JC are fine with this. Nothing they can do about it anyway as I'm in the right :)

If you read the post before yours - by RebeccaPidgeon - you will also see she confirms that it is not compulsory to provide access to your UJ account, even if they make you create one. (Rebecca works for the DWP and gives great help and advice here).

Good luck!

Most sites requiring the use of a login & password will have words to the effect in their Terms & Conditions:

You must not share your login name and password with anyone else.

If you spend any time working with computers, sharing of passwords is often a disciplinary offence that (depending on the organisation) can lead to summary dismissal. With that in mind, I would suggest that if anyone is asked for their login details by JCP staff (or WP provider), that they instruct the adviser to read the DWP employee manual regarding IT security.

Treat ALL passwords the same as you would a credit/cashpoint card PIN.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

..I typed my cashcard PIN into UJ and asked for £50 - all I got was a notice saying 'Refused. You're unemployed and will only spend it on beer and tabs'.

Seems they have every angle covered :)

signed tuesday and refused to give them access to my account, i've now been invited to go in again to see an advisor who is apparently going to change/update my agreement,he/she also want to see the cv i've got on the ujm..i've got a paper copy of this so that's not a problem..

I contacted my local MP via twitter and these are the responses I received:-

"I have been assured you do not have to give your login and/or password but you will be asked to show evidence of your searches."

"Was very senior DWP who confirmed so if you have any problem give me details and I will take it up."

• Haha 1

signed tuesday and refused to give them access to my account, i've now been invited to go in again to see an advisor who is apparently going to change/update my agreement,he/she also want to see the cv i've got on the ujm..i've got a paper copy of this so that's not a problem..

Good luck with your meeting.... when you create an account on UJ, you enter into a legally binding agreement with the Monster Corporation (operating the system on behalf of the DWP), and one of your commitments is that you should not divulge any account information. Conversely, the Monster Corporation (operating the system as a Data Processor) make it clear that they can distribute all personal data contained in the system to any party deemed authorised by the Minister of State.

Thus, one the one hand, you may consider any request to access your account under personal advisement - dont say so. However, the DWP may conversely access the information without requiring your consent or approval - they should be able to sign onto the system, and confirm your details.

thanks..the FLA i got on tuesday is despised by the people signing on,a typical jobsworth looking for brownie points,she's hinted i;ll have my number of jobs looked for upped,thats no problem either..i'll even buy a cheap printer and take printouts of the jobs i've applied for through the site...

Don't forget you can request a new advisor if you're not happy with your present one...the threat of a complaint to senior managers is usually enough to make them change your advisor.

doesn't work like that at our jobcentre,,you get your name called out theres about 5 on duty at my signing time, you could get anyone of them,they're all nice except this snidey one..

If the FLA is fairly junior or new in the role, they may be looking to make a name for themselves.....and/or enjoy the ego trip which only baloneous power (ie unearned power) may confer. They may also presume that they have to threaten claimants because that is what their Line Managers have told them, and for anything too complex, may refer the claimant to a Senior FLA.

However, FLA are likely to be on a short term contract, and may be stressed out themselves because they have no job security, and are member of the precariat.

The majority of FLA in JCP, however, are reasonable - and, unless the FLA is unreasonable, and/or steps out of line, you can either accept the status quo or, as suggested, submit a letter of complaint for the individual in question - they will have a chance to respond to any complaint, but it will remain on their record, and this fact alone may promote a change in attitude.

Universal Jobmatch cost £14.89m to establish, according to Minister for Employment Mark Hoban

Responding to a written question in parliament on 25 April 2013, Mr Hoban confirmed that the cost of introducing the online job posting and matching service was £14.89m but cautioned that, as this includes indicative decommissioning costs, the figure was subject to change. (yes upwards).

Nearly fifteen million quid for system that is fraught with security issues, has hardly any genuine vacancies, and doesn't work most of the time.

You could not make it up.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Never mind..the company who wrote the program will soon be releasing 'Service Pack 1 Update', which will transform it into a secure, reliable and user-friendly system which will enhance your internet experience. Hmmm..now where have we heard this before, I wonder? *Clue* Large American company.

...closely followed in a month's time by 'Service Pack 2' .. ad infinitum.

Just thought i would mention

Monster worldwide who the government are leasing this program (UJM) have there server based in the USA. Utah

Sound familiar

That is the same place that has been confirmed the american security agency (NSA) holds its servers (Utah)

coincidence??

Then look where this american spy program (PRISM) which the British government states it does not use yesterday is based

Utah

It will be interesting to know if the government gateway service for other services such as taxing your vehicle, passport applications is run by monster world wide

All data that passes through the USA can be intercepted by the american security services under the Patriot Act

Edited by squaddie

My name is jack, i am using Snowy`s membership to post some questions as i now have no internet access due to the cost & being unemployed. If this is a problem then could the moderators please inform Snowy & we can try a different route. Snowy is present as i type this .

OK, please bear with me as i have had an awful experience this morning while signing on.

I signed on this morning with my normal advisor, who is a nice lady but very unsure of procedure & very vague when asked questions [ i will come to this] . She asked me about UJM & signing up , i gave my stock answer that as i am applying for 10-15 jobs per week & have had 3 interviews within the last fortnight & i have a second interview tomorrow , is there really any need for me to join?, as it it obvious my job search is successful & above the required 3 job application per week.

She did`t answer but did`t push the subject any further, she then informed me i was required to attend a meeting to discuss my job search next week. I politely asked " why & for what reason" , she replied that it was to help me in trying to obtain a job," but i have had 3 interviews in the last fortnight & i am attending a second interview tomorrow so why do you think i need any extra help" . This sent her into a complete tizzy, she went to the supervisor who is a vile woman & is full of the attitude that you will do as you are told. She "told" me i must attend, i said OK but can you give me the official legislation that states i must attend an interview or send me a letter to that effect. she once again "told me, that it is part of my job seekers agreement", again i asked to be shown the relevant paperwork , i must add, i have no problem with attending the interview but i don`t like being spoken to like i am a subordinate . I had already given my advisor a tube ticket i purchased last Friday for my interview to reclaim my expense, my advisor had given me a form to fill out & said i would get the money into my account today. the supervisor stopped her processing the form & in a very abrupt manner said

" where`s your proof of the interview" , i produced a memory stick & explained as i could not afford a printer that my interview invites were all on the stick along with every job application i had ever made. She said they had no facility to download the information & i would have to produce printouts, i explained that the cost of paying for 2 rail cards & my cost of travelling to the job centre were a problem , i also explained i no longer had a car on the road due to not being able to afford the tax & insurance so i have to travel by bus , she then told me if i did`t produce the printouts i would not be paid " end of" .

Her attitude is disgusting, she is confrontational & i will attend the job search meeting next week, she left me with this " i can have you in here every day if i so choose" . I read that to mean, if i did`t tow the line & stop asking awkward questions then she will do her utmost to sanction me.

My questions are

Do i have to go to the added cost of printouts?, why can`t they simply look at the memory stick . what is the law on this?.

What are my legal rights regarding UJM & signing up to it.

Can i record the interview next week ? , this woman is vile & i don`t use that term lightly, she is a bully & a control freak. I want my position watertight.

I don`t have a problem with complying to law but i won`t be bullied or threatened with sanctions because i ask questions of the system & my legal rights.

Sorry for the length & any help & advice will be gratefully received .

Regards

Jack

My name is jack, i am using Snowy`s membership to post some questions as i now have no internet access due to the cost & being unemployed. If this is a problem then could the moderators please inform Snowy & we can try a different route. Snowy is present as i type this .

OK, please bear with me as i have had an awful experience this morning while signing on.

I signed on this morning with my normal advisor, who is a nice lady but very unsure of procedure & very vague when asked questions [ i will come to this] . She asked me about UJM & signing up , i gave my stock answer that as i am applying for 10-15 jobs per week & have had 3 interviews within the last fortnight & i have a second interview tomorrow , is there really any need for me to join?, as it it obvious my job search is successful & above the required 3 job application per week.

She did`t answer but did`t push the subject any further, she then informed me i was required to attend a meeting to discuss my job search next week. I politely asked " why & for what reason" , she replied that it was to help me in trying to obtain a job," but i have had 3 interviews in the last fortnight & i am attending a second interview tomorrow so why do you think i need any extra help" . This sent her into a complete tizzy, she went to the supervisor who is a vile woman & is full of the attitude that you will do as you are told. She "told" me i must attend, i said OK but can you give me the official legislation that states i must attend an interview or send me a letter to that effect. she once again "told me, that it is part of my job seekers agreement", again i asked to be shown the relevant paperwork , i must add, i have no problem with attending the interview but i don`t like being spoken to like i am a subordinate . I had already given my advisor a tube ticket i purchased last Friday for my interview to reclaim my expense, my advisor had given me a form to fill out & said i would get the money into my account today. the supervisor stopped her processing the form & in a very abrupt manner said

" where`s your proof of the interview" , i produced a memory stick & explained as i could not afford a printer that my interview invites were all on the stick along with every job application i had ever made. She said they had no facility to download the information & i would have to produce printouts, i explained that the cost of paying for 2 rail cards & my cost of travelling to the job centre were a problem , i also explained i no longer had a car on the road due to not being able to afford the tax & insurance so i have to travel by bus , she then told me if i did`t produce the printouts i would not be paid " end of" .

Her attitude is disgusting, she is confrontational & i will attend the job search meeting next week, she left me with this " i can have you in here every day if i so choose" . I read that to mean, if i did`t tow the line & stop asking awkward questions then she will do her utmost to sanction me.

My questions are

Do i have to go to the added cost of printouts?, why can`t they simply look at the memory stick . what is the law on this?.

What are my legal rights regarding UJM & signing up to it.

Can i record the interview next week ? , this woman is vile & i don`t use that term lightly, she is a bully & a control freak. I want my position watertight.

I don`t have a problem with complying to law but i won`t be bullied or threatened with sanctions because i ask questions of the system & my legal rights.

Sorry for the length & any help & advice will be gratefully received .

Regards

Jack

The thing with data sticks is that a lot of government systems have the USB ports disabled to prevent people uploading viruses and the like, so the battleaxe probably can't access the information on your stick, and by the sound of it she wouldn't if she could.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

If they want printouts then they have to supply you with a standalone machine to make the printouts on and you'll have to be able to plug your USB stick into that. This is the answer I've seen elsewhere.

Thanks for the help.

This is harder work than work :lol:. I know for a fact she will be looking for any opportunity to " get me" , looks like i will have to use the local internet cafe to get the printouts [ more bloomin expense] . can i reclaim the money?. Although i have no wish to start a war with this woman , i think it is inevitable , is there a complaints procedure if things turn sour & is it taken seriously?, also i would like to record her so i can then produce evidence if she denies saying this & that. My experience of all this has just brought me to the realisation that a Job centre is not there to help, but to help them trip you up, so sanctions can be put in place.There are some decent front line staff but this woman ..........jeez. I have complied with every single request but the UJM & she is going to try her best to teach me a lesson, her reputation is well known.

Jack.

Yes there is; "45. You will also need to explain, that because the claimant does not wish to

allow DWP access to their account (and this is their decision not ours so

you cannot issue a Jobseeker’s Direction to gain access) when they next

attend they will need to bring a copy of their public CV. This may take the

form of:

 Prints of their CV screens/pages from their Universal Jobmatch

account. However, this will not be possible for claimants who do not

have access to a printer or cannot afford to print out copies of these

pages; or

 CV screens/pages from their Universal Jobmatch account if they have

access to the internet on a smartphone. Districts will need to consider

the guidance on Restricted Use of Electronic Media in Jobcentres

although paragraph 7 in this guidance enables offices to allow

claimants to use their mobiles for this purpose.

46. If it is not possible for the claimant to do any of the above, you will need to

ask them to login to their account from an available Internet Access Device

(IAD) in your office and print off a copy of their public CV. "

That's about CVs but one would infer reasonably I believe the same principle applies to your situation. Quite honestly I think if you can make it plain you know at least some of your rights she'll leave you alone and try it on with someone else.

Thanks Swlabr9

Much appreciated

Do i have to legally provide a current CV ?, as i have said, i expect her to have her guns fully loaded. for all i know it is reading this forum.

I would`t normally be this upset / angry, but i saw the look in her eye & know she enjoys this kind of situation.

Also, if she gives me any form / document to sign, do i have the right to take it away to study the content & see if i agree & check out my legal rights before signing without incurring immediate sanctions.

Jack