Help with Flexible working request

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4208 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies but this may be a little long winded.

I have recently submitted a request to change my shift pattern at work back to what they used to be.

When I received the job offer over the phone I was told “Mon-Fri 9-5”

When I started working I was advised that this would be the hours during my training period and that my actual hours were to be a 2 week rotational shift with my fellow team manager.

I would work mon-fri 6am – 14:30 one week then Mon-Fri 10:30-19:00 the next with alternating Saturdays.

This was not a problem and I accepted it as such.

A few months later my felloe manager submitted a request for us to go on a 4 on – 4 off pattern doing 12 hours shifts on a rotational 5 weeks pattern,

After a lot of thought and consideration I accepting these new shifts and the appeal of having the 4 days off was nice.

Since that time my wife has had another baby and is about to return to work part time doing weekends only.

I have submitted the new request to my boss to revert to my original hours as this would enable me to look after our children at the weekend.

This was rejected today which I agree are possibly legitimate reasons (this was confirmed to me verbally and not a written reply)

I just wondered if there is anything at all I can do about this,

When I signed my contract of employment, it did not contain my hours of work.

But states on page 1. “Hours are as agreed with your manager attached” and on the summary page it states that “your normal hours of work are as stated on page 1”

I just wanted to know if there is anything I can do.

It is difficult as I feel I may need to resign n the new year to find alternative employment but this is something I do not wish to do.

Many thanks for you help in advance

Formal family friendly application? Is the other guys also one of those? First ask first get I am afraid unless you can reach an agreement between you.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

the other manager has now moved on and been replaced with someone else who is more than happy to change the hours, but its up to the boss and the boss says no

Formal family friendly application? Is the other guys also one of those? First ask first get I am afraid unless you can reach an agreement between you.

Boss has no valid business reason for denying. Did you do a formal request outlining how the work could be covered? And stating it was an application under the relevant legislation?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I never quoted any legislation.

I the reasons that were given were

· That he could not justify having 2 team managers on shift at the same time (our shifts would cross over for 4 hours per day) (although we did before when there was 1 extra member of staff on the floor)

· He says that there must always been a duty manager or senior agent on the floor (there are always other senior agents and duty managers on the floor but they work on different contracts however the knowledge or our contract is enough to get through and we are always on call anyway so just a phone call always if the guys need help.

In my opinion I believe I put a good case forward outlining the pros and cons of the shift change and the business would definatly benefit from the change of hours but he seems to disagree.

I have till now tried to keep it as informal as possible as I know my boss personally and we get on rather well,

PS what were the possibly legitimate reasons?

and there is now not one extra member of staff on the floor? He may have a point then... and "getting through" is not great. It sounds like things have changed at work since you first started there on your original hours?

things have changed, however when we are scheduled to work the weekend and we have holiday booked we are not replaced, therfore i dont see that its a valid point that they must have a team manager on at the weekend. !

sounds like im fighting a losing battle anyway lol

In fairness I don't think you told us the *whole* story in your opening post or I'd have said it was worth fighting...

Did you read this?

https://www.gov.uk/flexible-working/overview