Stairlift maintenance warranty cost.

cat1256
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About 4 years ago I asked for a quote to install a stairlift.

The cost would be £5400 as the stairs curve and we'd need an automatic rail extension at the bottom.

This was totally beyond us as I had naively thought that the cost would be about £1800.

I apologized to the rep as I wasn't trying to haggle but there was just no way we could afford it.

In the days after he'd been, the company phoned frequently, reducing the price all the time and when they offered £3100 I said yes as it was a necessity.

I thought that we'd just have to manage the costs and I felt that the company had tried to be helpful.

After the installation I kept getting calls to see if I was happy,

did I really need the lift and would I like to buy the maintenance contract for £1400.

This was happening at least 3 times per week and when we'd had to call the engineers out at least 6 or 7 times in the normal warranty period

and the end of that was getting close I got in touch with the company and told them I'd take it to the Daily Express Crusader.

They responded by giving me another years cover and they stopped the calls.

Last week on coming down on the stairlift it lent severly to one side to lean to the same downward angle as the stairs.

It stopped midway, the extension bar was down blocking the front door and it was difficult to get off of.

I telephoned the helpline and was told that they would arrange for an engineer that day.

I got a call from them a few minutes later to say that they didn't realise that I didn't have the service contract so they'd put me through to that department to discuss the "options".

The man on the phone said that for £145 + parts someone could come out within 14 days,

for £285 + parts they could come in 7 days and the lift would get a service as well

or the option he recommended was for me to pay £1495 and this call out would be covered,

the lift would get an annual service and so would any more callouts including parts and labour for 4 years.

Is this how all stairlift companies operate?

Edited by Conniff

Not just stairlift companies Cat, all those type of companies are the same, praying on the vulnerable, beit stairlifts, motorised wheelchairs and even central heating replacement boilers.

Welcome to CAG and now that you know where we are, you won't get caught by any other high pressure rip-off salesmen because you will visit us first.

Have you checked the contracts throughly, they aren't always as clever as they think.

Would you like to name the company and then we can put that in your header so it will come up on a search others might do in future.

They are Acorn. When I phoned their head office they told me that the warranty salesman was wrong and that they always get an engineer out as soon as possible regardless of whether the customer's bought the warranty or not. They've given me 6 months cover until May as a gesture of goodwill but I still believe that the maintenance service plan is sold exactly as that salesman tried to sell it to me.

I also received flowers from them so I feel a bit difficult about complaining about them but so many elderly people will have paid the first price they were quoted and then been frightened into paying another £1495.00.

These service contracts should be regulated but there not. As coniff said these companys prey on the vulnerable.

The trade association for these companys the BHTA is horrendous. They fail to investigate complaints or just simply loose them. They should be closed down by the OFT and the service contracts should be regulated by the FSA as insurance products.

Last year my sister renewed a service contract for 12 months costing £350 by phone. 2 days later both residents died of a house fire. The stairlift stopped half way down during the fire.

My sister contacted them to cancel the contract but they refused to refund. They lied and cheated to ensure no payment was made. they refuse to acknowledge their own trade association complaints but they can afford to rebrand themselves. The complaints to the BHTA have still not been dealt with 12 months on. They keep losing it. Probably to seeif sh will forget about it. I hardly think she will forget about two people dieing.

I feel really sick. They've just called me to see if I would buy the service contract if they took off 10%.

I said I couldn't afford to so the man said would I like him to ask his manager if they could do it for a £1000. That would mean I'd get an annual service which they charge £195 for and limitless call outs including parts and labour until 2017. They said I could pay £500 now and the rest in a month's time.

I said yes, I know I made the decision but I am so afraid of the wretched thing going wrong again. We really can't afford it but how can I afford not to with each call out being £145 + parts & labour? I can't moan, I've just said yes but somehow I feel as if there wasn't much choice. Now the blasted thing won't ever go wrong again!

• 2 weeks later...