Bus gate PCN, appeal failed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4217 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So I drove through a bus gate in Southwark. But in my defence, I did not see the markings nor did I really have a chance because of a really poor layout and badly maintained signage:

- One sign and the street marking was obscured by the bus at a red light, and I was behind the bus.

- Another sign suffered a hit and was pointing towards the shops, so not fully visible from the street.

- The third sign was mounted too high up on the lamp post, actually separated from the rest of the signage.

- The road markings are a bit confusing, the direction of travel which should be followed by all non-bus traffic seems like a side road.

This is not all, actually no signage is in any way fit for purpose due to lack of maintenance. Broken, wonky, even so far as not being properly illuminated (all lamps broken/ripped off).

Went through the appeal process, presented all of the above... council rejected it (but then fixed one of the signs a few days later!), PATAS rejected it saying:

- On balance I should have seen it.

- The adjudicator did not want to refer to the traffic signage regulation on the basis that "there's a lot there" (her words), and recent cases have set the standard that "on balance" the driver should have been aware even if the signage is poor.

So, I'm annoyed that what should be a process to hold the councils to a certain standard of signage is blatantly failing in this case. I can pay the £130 fine now, but I'd rather it cost me x10 that and the serious failings are fixed and someone is held to a standard for all motorists.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thoughts? (or suggestions for a good solicitor who would be willing to take on this fight?)

Take as many photographs as you can of the signs in the area, in similar traffic to when you were issued the penalty. Then go home and have a good look through them. You may find something that sticks out as being completely against the signage regulations (road lines, kerb markings or the condition of anything that is supposed to 'aid' the driver in his daily navigation through the minefield), and allows you to provide a valid counter claim.