Changing a N.Irish driving licence

cd3
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4237 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I would appreciate some info on changing my current valid N.Ire driving licence to a uk/scottish licence.(Got a job in scotland)

Does anyone know anything about how to go about doing this?

How much does it cost?

I have 6 points, will they get transferred over to scottish licence?

Thanks, can't find anything on net about this issue but maybe i'm just dumb :madgrin:

Northern Ireland (NI)

You can exchange a full NI driving licence for a full GB licence or you can use your licence here until it runs out. When your licence expires you may apply for a GB licence. A NI ordinary licence may be exchanged provided it was issued on or after 1 January 1976.

A vocational licence may be exchanged if issued on or after 1 April 1986. You may take a driving test in GB using your NI provisional or full licence if this gives the appropriate entitlement. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) cannot register an address in England, Scotland or Wales on to a NI licence.

Mutual recognition of driving disqualifications

Since 11 October 2004 there has been mutual recognition between GB & NI of driving disqualifications.

This allows:

• recognition in GB of disqualifications which were imposed under NI jurisdiction
  • endorsement of GB counterparts issued to NI licence holders
  • revocation of an NI licence in conformity with the Road Traffic (New Drivers) Act 1995
  • revocation of an NI licence on grounds disability and prospective disability

Reciprocal provisions came into force in NI at the same time as those made in GB.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022559