Flat falling down, landlord not doing repairs!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had one of my landlords workies out yesterday to"fix" my leaking shower. It's been "fixed" 8 times. It leakes into down stairs. When he phones I said to him will you really fix it though? It never gets done properly? He assured me he would. Then surprise surprise I he a call today, the shower is still leaking. Then I've just noticed I could see the light fronted flat under me through my shower plug hole and gaps in the floor. I've pulled the laminated floor up a bit am I can see into downstairs were there is a gap from the bathroom floor and my hallway. Ican actually see his toilet!!!

Then there's the leak in the hallway. It's been leaking for a year and a half. I've reported It several times. It's coming through the hallway light which is rusty and unusable.

Then there's the holes in the walls. There's a leak in the building hallway. One of the beams has a massive crack which is steadily getting worse and you can see we're the damp is coming in. The other side of that wall Isnone of my living room walls. A big hole has appeared and is steadily getting worse and bits of wall are coming away.

Then there's another hole in my kitchen wall an plaster has come away exposing brick. It's also cracked right down.

There's also three odd seperate leakes in the building hall way.

I've reported all of these issues but the landlord does bugger all.

I've had someone out to look a the issues and been told I'll be back tomorrow but they never do.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on how bad it is they will normally come back to check that the repairs are being done so the landlord will have 2 choices, get the repairs done properly and keep you there or don't get them done and they won't have much luck renting the place out again as environmental health officer will pop round from time to time to see if anyone has moved in and if they have and the landlord has not had the repairs done then they will fine him..

Just been throught his with one of my kids where he lives and the landlord wasn't happy about spending money but he was given no choice.

• 1 month later...

The repairs still have not been carried out. They've been out again to "fix" the shower but this morning I saw the fella downstairs and he let me have a look the entire ceiling in his bathroom is soaking and mouldy, it's inevitable that it will collapse again. There's also a beam in the building hall way that's collapsing. They have been to fix it and by fix I mean paint over the crack.

First step is to contact your landlord and if your problem is not resolved ask about any escalation and complaint procedures.

If that fails then you may have to get serious, your landlord will be under various obligations under common law, statute law and contract law to do repairs.

If they are serious health and safety concerns they could be very serious, i,.e someone slips on a pool of water or develops pneumonia due to damp conditions.

You could sue for damages, either for reapirs you undertook, inconvience, damage to health etc.

Here is the pre-action protocol for housing repairs which is a pre-court action checklist to try and resolve the issue, it may spur him into action > http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/protocol/prot_hou

Andy

• 1 month later...

Last night whilst I was asleep one of the wall sockets exploded!

Someone moved in on the ground floor a few weeks ago and he sets the fire alarm off near enough every day at all hours of the day/night. 9/10 he doesn't even come out to reset the system and just leaves it going off!! 4am last week it was left going for 50min!!!

he set it off Friday and didn't reset the system. So when the plug exploded the alarms did not go off but luckily didn't go on fire.

None of the other repairs have been carried out either, leak coming through the hallway light,holes in living room wall an kitchen etc

The installed an extractor fan in the bathroom and sad they were coming back to do a fills day work the following week. I then get a voicemail saying they can't come and havnt heard a thing since.

I got onto environmental health ages ago but havnt heard a word.

thre LL has a duty of care to his tenants and any electrical problem must be put right, potential fire etc.

If he wont fix it you must report to the council, its your safety, you have no choice.

have you got any gas applicances and have you got a gas safety certificate?

Get back in touch with the council. Hound/harass them until they are forced to come out.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Landlord still hasn't done anything, just been to the office and been given a story about how they can't get hold of the roofer but he's charged them for the stuff. Mmm sounds like tosh to me.

I've just seen some of his workies even they've told me to go to environmental health. Apparantly he's been forced to do repairs by them before!!!

Keep pushing with EH. They will force him to comply. Make sure you keep written evidence, and if you went to see a certain person, get a simple letter from them to confirm your visit and the reason for it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Hacked Off thats the last thing you need in this weather got my sympthaphy there.

If other households are affected try phoning you electricity provider first and see what they say.

Also have a look at this National Grid Web links:

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Electricity/

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Electricity/AboutElectricity/DistributionCompanies/DistributionCompanies.htm

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

It was the main box downstairs three flats went off. It's happened before three go off and the meters completely die. It's back on for now. My bloody shower is now only running on cold...and my heating is broke... Bloody freezing...woe is me

Won't I end up just getting evicted though?

Hello Hacked_off

Sorry to here of your problem,may I ask how long have actual lived at this flat date you moved in ?

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...